ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans

Old 01-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Supspt454
Default Which engine, can't decide?

Hello everybody. As you know, Im new to the forum. Im not new to hot rodding though. I have an engine problem. As far as everything lines up, my 70 is a reall SS. I do not have the orig. engine. I know for a fact, that my car had a factory installed working Cowl Hood, a factory 4 speed transmission, non A/C, factory 12 bolt rear axle, factory dark green interior with SS emblems on the door panels, and factory dark green metalic paint with white SS stripes. Now, with all that said...It still doesnt help me with the factory installed engine and transmission which I do not have.

What I have in the shop engine wise.
1994 Gen V 454 4 bolt block, crank, rods, GM 088 502 rectangle port heads with 2.25"/1.88" valves

1994 GM 5.7L TBI complete, wire harness, computer (Engine needs rings and bearings)

1998 GM LS1 out of a Camaro SS, mostly complete, non complete wire harness and computer.

1963 to 1965 GM Muncie 21 close ratio 4 speed (Fresh)

1994 GM Early 4l60E from same vehicle as TBI 350.

I have gone down several different roads on engine and trans combos. My most recent is the LS1 project. I have done lots of research on getting that engine into the car. There are several other things to consider on the LS1 conversion though. First of which is the bellhousing bolt pattern is a bit different, but a early model trans WILL work behind it just loosing one top bolt. Flywheel/flexplate are special to a early model trans swap but can be purchased.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I am truly undecided on which way to go. Any opinions will be greatly app...

The last thing, given the projected fuel prices, the most cost efficent rout is probably slapping rings and bearings, gaskets, bolting the OD trans up, and putting this car on the road with the TBI 350 and 4l60e...Just doesnt seem right ya know??? UGGGGGGG!!!

Thanks

Shawn
Old 01-06-2011, 06:41 AM

How about the 454 and the 4L60E. You'll have overdrive on the highway and still have the grunt of a big block. Unless it's going to be a daily driver is fuel cost that big of a concern? There are lot of nice Chevelles out there with small blocks but just seems a 70 SS really needs a big block. Of course I have a 70 SS with a big block so maybe I'm a little biased.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
How about the 454 and the 4L60E. You'll have overdrive on the highway and still have the grunt of a big block. Unless it's going to be a daily driver is fuel cost that big of a concern? There are lot of nice Chevelles out there with small blocks but just seems a 70 SS really needs a big block. Of course I have a 70 SS with a big block so maybe I'm a little biased.
Well, one reason I was leaning toward the 350 was because it is cheap to overhaul, is complete, though not the best EFI, it works. I have all the harness and computer for the engine and trans. I still have lots of BBC parts to buy before I can put it together. But...then there is the LS1. All aluminum, light weight, great EFI, plenty of power. But, then we are talking about dollar bills!!! I have no idea which way to go...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 AM

IMHO, an original bigblock car should stay bigblock, and I'm NOT a purist...

I'd go with the 454, and the Muncie, and put a ~3.31 rear gear in it with some tall tires so it's manageable on the highway.

Sell everything else for gas money.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM

That was my orig. Plan from the start. I forgot to mention one thing. Rear gear is a 4:10 Richmond with Moroso brute posi unit.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Oh..forgot something elese. I do have a fresh .10/.10 427 crank, resized rods with ARP bolts, balanced, with TRW forged pistons I could use with a one piece rear seal adapter. And that stuff is ready to go. Just a thought?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM

If you put anything in it but the BBC, you'll always wonder how much nastier it would have been. I say big block, and I'm a smallblock guy.

The muncie will handle it. The 4L60 would probably need some beefing up, and a converter. Instead of paying for that stuff, use the money for a ring/pinion swap and you're done. That would make for a pretty reasonable, but respectful setup. If you want better mileage stay off the go pedal. (yeah right )
Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 AM

I think the engine/trans combo is dependant upon how you plan to use the car ... assuming, of course you want to build it specifacally for your own use.

If you are going for the highest return on your dollar then stick with what was stock for a 70 Chevelle ... perferably a BB. Looks like you would have to do alittle trading to accomplish that though but the muncie would seem to be the only part you should hang onto and match it up with a early carburated 454.

Just my opine .. like I said it depends on what you are trying to achieve. You gots some tough choices! LOL
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM

4L60e would need some type of computer to run it also, since they're controlled electronically.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM

I say go with the big block. Its a muscle car! JMHO