ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Restoration by the numbers

Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Joker2017
Default 1968 Malibu

Hi, new here to the site. Just bought my first Chevelle. I have been dreaming of owning one since I was a kid. I finally bought one! I am a long time shade tree mechanic with minimal automotive schooling. I worked as a mechanic for two years before joining the military! Been in for 13 years and thanks to Uncle Sam I now have my Chevelle.
It will be a complete restore (not nessesarily to stock) I have already stripped the nasty yellow paint job. I am down to bare metal and can now start repairing rust spots and holes. I am doing everything in my garage. When I complete the filler work (until I can afford new panels/patches) I plan to prime it. Is there any problem priming with spray cans? For now it will stay in primer for no more than a year before I replace the fenders and use patch panels on the quarters. I am looking to get it so that I can enjoy it (drive) until the day comes to but the panels.
Being my first project I am sure many questions are to come. Thanks for an amazing site for Chevelle lovers like myself!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Rattle can primer will work but keep in mind that primer will not prevent rust. Unlike the top coat, primer is porous and will allow moisture through to the metal.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM

So here is my next question, would it be better to throw a rattle can coat of basic auto paint on there after the primer to hold me over until I am ready for high $$$ paint? My final goal is to replace all metal needed. Then I am hoping to do a decent home paint job myself. Again, I am in the military and we don't get paid well, so I am doing this all on a very tight budget. I am in no hurry for the final product but want to enjoy iy in the meantime as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM

That's a tough call. If you only put primer on there is a chance of rust depending on humidity. If you throw on a coat of primer and a cheap top coat, how much work will it take to prep it again for a good top coat. Not being a painter I don't know. Hopefully someone here with some painting experience can answer.

Before I forget again, thank you for your service to our country.

My Chevelle
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Bowtie Member

If you do the prep work yourself, and then used spray can primer, why not check into local paint shops. A lot of local paint shops will put a cheap paint job on a car for pretty cheap. And it might look a lot better than spray cans and probably wouldn't be that much more than actually buying the spray cans.

It might not be the best way to go, but if you are set on getting something on the car to "hold you over" till you replace the panels, than this is an option.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Bowtie Member

I'm sorry.... I forgot to say welcome Joker !

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

Hi Joker and thanks for your service.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
If you do the prep work yourself, and then used spray can primer, why not check into local paint shops. A lot of local paint shops will put a cheap paint job on a car for pretty cheap. And it might look a lot better than spray cans and probably wouldn't be that much more than actually buying the spray cans.

It might not be the best way to go, but if you are set on getting something on the car to "hold you over" till you replace the panels, than this is an option.
Here is my next question...I have filled in a decent size dent in my fender, I am afraid to fill anymore in fear of cracking, should I pull the fender attempt to hammer out the dent, use a dent puller (not removing fender) or add more filler. BTW...I have no clue how to remove the fender...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	184378_10150104591567560_691752559_6166021_1225888_n.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1183  
Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Also, thank you for all the welcomes. I am proud to serve, and truely apprciate you guys recognizing us for our service. It's not only those before me that have walked the same and worse paths I have but those of you who show your support that make putting on this uniform every day worth it! Thank you for your supprt.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM

Pulling the fender requires removing the hood first. You could remove the inner fender which would give you access to the back side of the fender. Two bolts and large fender washers through inner fender into cowl/firewall. Bolts along the edge of the inner fender along the wheel opening. Some bolts at the rad core support. Should be able to lower inner fender and slide it out. Take the wheel off to give you some more room.

My Chevelle