ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM

Default Balljoints or Control arms

Read the sticky on front end geometry and got a question. Can you go to a taller upper ball joint or is it best to change the upper control arms? I'd like to correct the roll feeling in a curve, and if the taller balljoints would do it that be great. Where do you get them and has anyone got alignment specs on a 72 chevelle?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:05 AM

Tall upper ball joints will help. Tall upper and lower will help more. New control arms won't change the spindle height. They have other benefits but don't change spindle height which is what you need to do to correct some of the steering issues on a Chevelle. If you're not planning on pro-touring the tall ball joints would be a good upgrade. Proforged, Howe and UMI (may be Proforged) make tall ball joints. Check Jegs, Summit or google tall ball joints.

I think BillsCamino has the specs handy. If he doesn't respond I'll track them down for you.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanks Hank, no I'm not going pro touring, just want it to handle good on the street. Post those specs if you find them.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM

Found Proforged on Summit's site, $49.95 each. They have the lower's for $149.00 for 2. I can get a discount through Pro Shop, may try the uppers 1st and see what happens.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:08 AM

Uppers are the easiest, and obviously the cheapest. I would start there too, may be enough improvement for you. If not you can always do the lowers later.

You're limited on alignment with stock arms, that's where new control arms can help. Still you should be able to improve on the original specs designed for bias ply tires. Try to get -1/4* camber first. Then as much positive caster as you can with out affecting camber, may be able to get up +3* on caster with stock arms. Then 1/8" toe in.

If you have frame sag, not uncommon after having a big block sitting in there for 40 years, you may not be able to achieve the above specs. They make offset cross shafts for the upper arms that will compensate for the frame sag.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 01-18-2014, 04:14 PM

Mine was a little 307 car. Now it's got a 434 with Dart alum heads, so it's not to frt end heavy. It handles decent now, so I think the uppers will really help. A lot of good info, thanks.