ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM

I dont really consider any of mine Muscle Cars as they are small block powered ,my Elky SS is stock 350/350 and my Malibu is modified but not really high performance with only 300 horse power .I mostly call them fun.

John
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Bowtie Member

So ultimately the terms Classic car and Muscle car have many definitions. I like how many of you have explained them, definitely better than the article did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake68 View Post
A Corvette is NOT a muscle car. ....it's a sports car. Which is another definition. "Sports car" ...an open top, two seater car design for spirited road driving. "Sports coupe" would be a two seater with a roof.

So a question here. What would you consider flash's 1972 Malibu Convertible ? Is is a sports car, maybe not because it has a back seat. It is a classic car, but is it a muscle car ?

flash, hope your not upset with me for using your car, or should I say the Mrs. car. But it can fall into a few different categories, just like many other cars. So it seems that figuring the question of Classic or Muscle car, can turn out to be a never ending discussion.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I dont really consider any of mine Muscle Cars as they are small block powered ,my Elky SS is stock 350/350 and my Malibu is modified but not really high performance with only 300 horse power .I mostly call them fun.
I would totally agree.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Flash's Convertible is a classic and not a muscle car because it has a standard engine base car.

The term muscle car started in the 60's and early 70's and was used for cars that had suspension upgrades, bigger engines, and performance packages above the standard base car. The 302 camaro with dual carbs was consider to be in the muscle car group.
A starndard 2 barrel carb car is not a muscle car. AMC tried to build a muscle car with bigger motor and up grades. It all had to do with horse power.

You are correct depending on what group you talk to it is a never ending discussion.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM

I agree with all of the above posts but I'm easy .

John
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I agree with all of the above posts but I'm easy .
It's still a very cool car, no matter what people want to call it. I working on the 70 convertible, finally got a price today. Don't care if it's a muscle car or a classic, I just want to own one and have fun in it.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
It's still a very cool car, no matter what people want to call it. I working on the 70 convertible, finally got a price today. Don't care if it's a muscle car or a classic, I just want to own one and have fun in it.
So true !!!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Flash's Convertible is a classic and not a muscle car because it has a standard engine base car.

The term muscle car started in the 60's and early 70's and was used for cars that had suspension upgrades, bigger engines, and performance packages above the standard base car. The 302 camaro with dual carbs was consider to be in the muscle car group.
A starndard 2 barrel carb car is not a muscle car. AMC tried to build a muscle car with bigger motor and up grades. It all had to do with horse power.

You are correct depending on what group you talk to it is a never ending discussion.
So then my 72 Malibu is both a Classic and a Muscle car. lol Since I have a suspension upgrade and a bigger engine.

Woo Hoo ! Looks like I have a Muscle Car.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM

My suspension is and isnt stock ,its got boxed rear control arms and sway bar for a stock SS car and bigger front sway bar same as an SS but still to me just a classic to me .I just wanted a little better handling than stock Malibu .Im thinking about replacing the Edelbrock 4 BBL for a rebuilt Quadrajet I was planning for my truck.Ray ,keep us posted on your vert when you get it .

John
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Bowtie Member

So flash, you have a Muscle car too. I have found all the information and views interesting and informative.

I know that many car shows have entry forms that state that any modifications, over 3, would put your car into the modified category. Even cosmetic modifications would take a car out of a Stock category, but that would not have anything to do with classifying a car as a Muscle car...correct ? I don't think that I am stupid, I just want to make sure that I get this straight. I have friends who have challenged me on this.