ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Default My Dads Car

Hi, I'm new to this forum & fairly new to muscle cars. I have a some what unique story. My dad was a Chevelle lover but really couldn't afford to complete his project due to having 4 kids & limited income. He sold his 67 Chevelle in 2000 & passed away in 2002. By me knowing his passion & having the desire to start where he left off, I began a city wide search of the 67 he owned & by what I believe was faith I found it. That's the Good part. Now the Bad. The guy that purchased the car turned it into his dragster & raped the car basically. I bought the car with no motor or trans but it was worth the sentimental value for me. I began to gut the roll cage & fuel cell & began sheet metal work on floors & trunk. I have no desire to race but would love to make my dad proud so my question is simple. Since this car will never be original, can some one give options to a power plant. I've built a few small blocks in my time but nothing radical. I'm looking for a nice cruiser but something that'll leave rubber @ stop lights. Lol. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome to the forums.Now,for my opinion.If you know for certain this is your dads car,I would do what ever it takes to bring it back to as near as possible to original.Do thou know what size motor it had originally?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Welcome to the site. A name would be good since we are all friends here. You have lots of options with the car. You could go a pro touring style wich would give you a great look and have a more up todate look and handling of the car. You could put a built 350 or a LT 1 in it. Or if you trying to stay more era correct a built 327 or 396 engine will give you all the power you will need, with a 4 speed or automatic. It going to depend on what budget you have. Not sure on how much body work you are looking at, suspension upgrades, etc. You could easy put 10 to 20k into the car depending how nice you want it to be. How about a few pictures. Congrats for finding you dads car.

Ray
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 PM

Sorry guys, my names Joe & thanks for the welcome.yes I'm 100% sure it's my dads car. It's had the same owner since he sold it. I found it thru his step dad that races & new how to locate the car. As for the power plant I'd like to stick with something I can wrench on. I'm no mechanic by any means but the LS swap would be out of my league. As for budget I too am somewhat like my dad & have 4 kids & wife also, but I'll take my time & build it right. The car originally had a 396. I'll post pics asap.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 PM

I would build a 396 for it, with the same type trans the car came with. Take your time looking for one, I see rebuilt ones all the time for cheaper then I rebuilt mine for all the time. There actually is not all that high demand for them believe it or not. Most guy seem to want the newer motors around here. I had one for sale that I could not even give away a while back.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM

i posted the few pics i had on my pc. its not in as in good shape as it looks. when he sold it 12 years ago,he had repaired most of the rotted body panels,but the floors were over laid with sheet metal & due to its hard running, the suspension needs to be overhauled. as for the interior i brought that back to life with new seat covers,carpet,door panels & head liner. So i figured id get a round about idea from people like you all what route to go for the hard stuff such as power plant & suspension upgrade.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 PM

shadowgray396 i was thinking in the range of 396-454 to keep it real. I believe it was backed by a 4 speed muncie but i could be wrong & by me driving a truck for a living im not sure if i want to shift on the weekend lol. I wish id thought of that before i upholstered the front seat because the bench seat with the 4 speed was pretty sweet but wouldnt look to hot with a bench seat with a automatic shift on the floor. this is gonna be one hell of a roller coaster for my 1st project lol
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Bowtie Member

Hi Joe, welcome ! It was great to hear your story about your dad and the car. I can say that mine is a little like yours, as we have 6 kids and actually put the car together, the first time, with their help. My older kids were there to help with sanding, cleaning and to this day they still talk about all the work we did together.

Have you researched the VIN to find out what the car originally came with, interior, motor, car color, etc. I know that budget has a lot to do with what you will ultimately do to the car. But, my suggestion, even if it take a little longer, do it right the first time. Here is a link to a thread, on this site, to help you with your search.

http://chevelleforum.org/showthread.php?t=2035

I look forward to hearing about your progress with your car, and more of the stories about your dad and your car.

P.S. I built my car in memory of my dad who I lost when I was 9. In the back window is a sticker that says...."This one's for you dad".

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Cool

Ms Grumpy that's awesome. Yes I've been very busy running numbers & from what I've come up with so far, it was a 396 car, column shift, bench seat. Im probably going to attempt to pick up where my dad left off & make a SS clone since the hood & most badges are present. As for drivetrain I'm debating build a 396 or 454 or if cheaper I may go with crate engine. Tranny wise I'm either gonna go with a 4 speed so I can still look cool with the newly upholstered bench seat I have now. My dad loved this car & I plan on taking my time & never letting it leave family again. My 2 sons are all in for it. So I'm making a list & checking it twice. That's y I joined this forum, so that I could interact with people who have been there & did it & not to be blowing $$ on parts like I already have been. I've already changed my mind on motors 3 times & now I'm @ the point of taking care of the sheet metal work & letting the motor come to me. I've only had the car 3 months & already I've collected 3 motors by changing my mind. Lol. I had a LT1 out of my 96 camaro I was gonna stroke but changed my mind do to the cost of the swap, then a 350 4bolt out of a truck I was gonna build & then I ran across a 454 that I thought was a 396. Lol So I'm just gonna wait til the time comes & go from there. Sorry if this is so long. I'm just so excited to have this car, I could type forever.lmao
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Welcome Joe,
You have such an awesome story!!!
IMO in order to complete the circle I would make the car as original as possible.
Whatever you decide to do I'm sure your dad will be watching and will be very proud.