ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Events, shows or back yard gatherings

Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman
Default 2014 Back to the Bricks in Flint

This is what we have been telling you guys for a while about Back to the Bricks in Flint. It has grow year after year and is now one of the top auto events for 2014. I know Flint gets a bad rap and some of it is deserved but we do love our cars. Below is a copy of the news letter I just got as well as the link to the schedule which has grown to 2 more Michigan cities this summer.

http://www.backtothebricks.org/schedule/

FEBRUARY, 2014
BACK TO THE BRICKS, INC.
MONTHLY UPDATE

1. Lot’s to report on this month and first and foremost is the that General Motors has named Buick as the ‘Presenting Sponsor’ for the ‘Back to the Bricks’ for the next five years. It is extremely important and appropriate to have Buick as our ‘Presenting Sponsor’ in as much as it was with the Buick Motor Car Company that led to the formation of General Motors and it started right here in Flint. As we move forward, we look to a long and mutual beneficial relationship with Buick and we welcome them as our ‘Presenting Sponsor’.

2.Also joining the ranks of BttB sponsors are the following new ‘Gold’ level sponsors. Edelbrock, Pratt-Miller and Fidelity Investments. Edelbrock, one of the nation’s premiere automotive performance suppliers in the world. If you are looking to enhance your cars performance look to Edelbrock. They have you covered from top to bottom of your engine and as we are very proud to say, Edelbrock’s parts are ‘Made in the U.S.A.’ Look for the large display semi on the Flat Lot in downtown Flint. Next is Pratt-Miller. At Pratt-Miller Restorations and Specialty Vehicles, they are committed to providing the highest quality and the most detail driven restorations in the industry. Their auto expertise, experienced staff and stringent attention to detail sets them apart from the rest. Visit their website at: http://prattmiller.com/markets/specialtyvehicles to see what they are up to at the shop. And be sure to look for their large display on the flat lot when our event rolls around in August. Our next new ‘Gold’ level sponsor needs little introduction as they are recognized as one of the top world investment companies and that is Fidelity Investments. Like our treasured cars are considered investments, Fidelity can help us all out with our fiduciary investments and help guide each of us to a secure financial future. Be sure to contact the local Fidelity Investment advisor in your area and while you at it; thank them for the support of the BttB.

3. Big news on the North American Auto Events scene! MSN Auto Events editorial staff has named ‘Back to the Bricks’ as one of the top auto events in the nation for 2014. Other events include Pebble Beach, Barrett-Jackson, Bonneville Speed Week, Hot August Nights, Back to the 50’s, Detroit’s Autorama, Woodward Dream Cruise and others. To be named to this elite group of auto events is really special and speaks reams about out event. And how did all this happen in just a short ten years? It is because of you, our valued and much appreciated car owners, spectators and especially our sponsors. If it were not for you, we would not even be a ‘blip’ on the radar! Thanks to all of you and for the complete list visit http://editorial.autos.msn.com/best-...ents-of-2014-1

4. Detroit’s famed ‘Autorama’ is coming up in just a short two weeks. As the BttB has been absent from ‘Autorama’ for a couple of years, we will be back in full force this year with a whole new display and four fantastic cars on display. As they say in the Olympics, we are going for the gold this year for the best in show for none commercial displays. Our Autorama co-chairs Dale Frey and Bob Ayre and their fellow committee members have been working for the last three months on the display. Look for the Flint Arches and the committee members in bright yellow pit crew shirts. Be sure to stop by and say ‘Hi’ as we look forward to seeing each of you.

5. Can’t get by without saying a few words about this year’s BttB Promo Tour (the Michiana Tour) which will take place from June 20th thru the 24th, 2014. We have laid out a great tour with five overnight stops in Michigan and Indiana with five automotive museum visits as well as other tour stops. Breakfast, mid-morning coffee and donut stops and daily lunches included with the $35.00 registration fee that also includes two-tour tee-shirts, two lanyards and window cling. You can’t beat the price and if you stay all five nights, your name will be entered into the drawing for a brand new General Motors 350ci, ZZ4 crate engine. But keep in mind; you have to stay all five nights on the tour to be eligible to win. Visit www.backtothebricks.org, click on the schedule tab, then on the tour heading. From there you can download the registration form and get the hotel listings for each host city.

6. Now for somewhat of a tragic story from Florida. The first night my wife and I arrived in Florida, we stayed in the Sarasota area. She wanted to go a Publix grocery store to pick up a few items so off we went. We had just exited the store and were in our vehicle and we heard the sounds of crunching metal. My wife looked to her left and saw the second car from us with a mid-90’s Chrysler sitting on the hood of what turned out to be a very pristine late model Pontiac Trans AM convertibles, probably one of the very last one’s to be built. I immediately got out of our car and I and another guy were the first to offer assistance. The elderly gentlemen that were driving the Chrysler inadvertently hit the gas pedal instead of the brake and as you have guessed already, launched the Chrysler over the bump curb and into the Trans Am. Fortunately he was not injured physically and we had to help him out of his car which was now sitting about 4-1/2 feet off of the pavement! Once we got him out of the car, his first words were (pardon my French here) ‘Holy Shit’! At that point, I was more concerned that he might suffer a heart attack but fortunately that was not the case. By this time, a crowd has started to develop around the scene with more cell phone pictures being taken than at the Super Bowl! For the lighter side, can you imagine that you are in the grocery store and over the PA system comes the words ‘if you own a Pontiac Trans Am convertible, please report to the parking lot immediately’! Yes, the cars can be fixed and a year from now all we see the lighter side of this story.

7. That is it for this month and keep in mind, spring is just a short four weeks away.

Al Hatch,
Back to the Bricks, Inc.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Maybe one day we can make it ,not this year though ,truck ate our budget.

John
Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Bowtie Member

Ric, I only live an hour away from BttB and I still haven't made it up there. I have many friends who tell me all about it, and I know I should go. But something always seems to come up. Then there is the fact that I only live 1 mile away from 12 mile and Woodward, and as all the locals know, the week before the Woodward Dream Cruise is always the best. I have been in the Friday night car cruise in Berkley for many, many years and see a lot of my neighbors lining the streets as we cruise down 12 mile in a parade that has more than 300 classic cars.

Last year was the first year that I didn't sit out on Woodward. I didn't want to deal with the rude people who put out their canopys a week before the cruise to "claim their spot" and they don't even have a friggin car. So, since I lived so close I would take someone out for an hour, come home (to the air conditioning cause it would get pretty hot sitting in the August heat), cool off and then go out again. I think I had more fun last year than in years past.

This year I have to work BttB, or at least a day leading up to it, into my schedule. I think it would be well worth the trip. It would be awesome if we could get the Michigan Chevelle Club guys to come up there. I know that Chuck usually does Woodward the day of the cruise. Not sure if Ken comes out, haven't asked him.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Judy and I usually go to Woodward a few times in the week prior to the Dream cruise. And then we go for the whole day on Friday. We dont go anyways near that place on Saturday Aug 16th, too many cars and too many people to deal with.

Some of our friends went to BttB last year and said it was a sight to be seen, so maybe this year we'll take a run up there. I hope i can find the time to go.

On Sunday, Aug 17th Judy's brother and I always go to MIS to watch the Nascar race as we have season tickets.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM

If anyone wants to come up let me know as I maybe able to get you spots with us, I've had the same 12 spots for 5 years and the group from Canada has the 10 spots across from us and they always have extra and I give one of the guys a call a couple weeks before and he tells me how many of his spots I can get.

This year they are adding cruises in Cadillac and Mt Pleasant Michigan in June and July and I'm going to try to get some people to take a day trip to at least the Mt Pleasant cruise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back to bricks9.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	3143

Name:	back to bricks7.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	3144

Name:	Back to bricks2.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	3145

Last edited by RBeckman; 02-19-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Bowtie Member

Ric if I wanted a spot is it for only Saturday or a day thru the week. I know they hold all sorts of activites throughout the week. Last year the week before was crappy if I remember right the weather was on and off rain.

Anyway I would be interested in a spot. Not sure if David will go, depends on how he feels. But he knows better than to plan anything for me that week.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
Ric if I wanted a spot is it for only Saturday or a day thru the week. I know they hold all sorts of activites throughout the week. Last year the week before was crappy if I remember right the weather was on and off rain.

Anyway I would be interested in a spot. Not sure if David will go, depends on how he feels. But he knows better than to plan anything for me that week.
It would only be for Saturday, during the week they have what they have a rolling cruise which is from Grand Blanc to Flint with stops all along the way at restaurants, Bars, Car dealers, gas stations, sporting good stores, churches, police station and many many more places. Saturday they shut Down Town Flint down and that is the big day where everyone can walk around and look at the car. Also Friday night they have a concert in down town.

The week before the big cruise they have what they call tune up parties in the little towns around Flint. Some of the cities are Fenton, Linden, Clio, Davidson, Mt Morris which they shut the down towns down and let us take over. One of the nights they take over the US-23 drive in down and show classic car movies and only classic cars are allowed in...did it one year and it was fun.

Tony...what's wrong with my attachments? What you smoking?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Ric, might be interested in a spot. I'll let ya know probably at Bakers, will be there on May 4th for sure if it aint rainin.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Bowtie Member

Ric I might be interested in going with you to one of the cruises, just have to know when they are so I can make plans. We should all plan on a day at Bakers, that would be cool to go with a group and park together. I usually see people I know, but we never get to park together.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Bowtie Member

Ric, also put me on the Saturday waiting list for a spot. I think that I will pass on Saturday on Woodward this year.

Ken, let me know when you and the Mrs come down to Woodward. Maybe we can meet up, or at least stop in at the A & W in Berkley.