ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 10-29-2014, 12:55 AM

Default Help Need Advice on Wilwood Dynalite Pro Series Front Disc Brake Conversion

Hi All,

I am writing this thread hoping to get some opinions and feed back on an upgrade I am planing on doing to my 70 chevelle convertible. I want to still be able to run my 15 inch rally's but want a solid front end brake system without braking the bank. I am planing on installing a big block and want the car to stop well. I have been told to look into the the dynalite pro series from wilwood I have the summit link below.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-10996

From some online reading I noticed that the 4 piston calipers on the dynalite series have some flex in them and a couple people are not too happy with them...i don't know if that was because of their install or the actual product. Also some of the reading i did said that the dynapro was a more ridged product because it is forged versus machined?

My car has 4 wheel drums now with no power and I was planing on installing a power booster and new master cylinder as well. I also read people having issues with stiff brake pedals with power boosters.

I have also looked into the CCP brake kits and this kit caught my eye and included both front and rear disc brake kit
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/Brakes/67FRBKS.htm

I know there are other chevelle owners that have been through this on their car and I would like to know what would be the best front disc brake set up under a $1250 budget. Can any one give me some good advice on this subject, I am sure I am not the only one interested in this upgrade….

Thanks for your time and reading my thread!

Mike G

Last edited by 70_chevelle; 10-29-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:06 AM

Things to look into with the kits. Are you tied to their products now or will factory parts interchange? Replacement part prices and what ifs, like they go out of business or discontinue that item.

I went with the sock spindles so factory parts fit. Slotted rotors and metallic pads and you have more stopping power than you'll ever need unless you plan to run Nascar or road race all day.

Stock parts are actually fine unless your doing 3-4 200 MPH panic stops in a row. That would warp a rotor.

Vaccuum assisted hard brake pedal is associated with a huge cam. Even a medium sized cam they work fine. 234 244 @ 50 is about the limit. They work normally. Vacuum booster stores enough to work 3X well. So with a auto and sitting in traffic it may get hard. Just blip the throttle in neutral and they back. With a stick problem is pretty well solved.

Only aftermarket I had any experience with is Baer brakes. So I can't comment on the companies mentioned.

Just things to consider deciding.