ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle Introductions

Old 01-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Administrator Bowtie Member

Default A more thorough introduction

Welcome everyone I would like to tell you a little bit about myself and my family. My name is David and I am the owner of this site.

I meet my wife Nancy at Detroit Dragway where she and her brother were running a 1970 Nova. It was love at first site. Her not the car , but the car wasn't bad either. At that time Nancy had 3 children who spent every weekend at the drag strip with her, currently we have 6 children together. We have been together for 14 years and just celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary a couple of days ago.

Our family is deeply rooted in to many hobbies. The most popular being our cars. We got our project chevelle in 98 from her brother. It came to us in bits and pieces, many of which were in coffee cans. I started putting it back
together in 99 with the help of a few friends and our children (found out that they could wash parts, sand a little, what ever we could talk them into doing). I went searching the web to find help with the many questions that I had and thats when I found Team Chevelle. I made a couple of good friends over there and learned alot more then my little pea brain could absorb.

Soon after Sept 11th happened the shop I worked for closed its doors. At that time we decided I would stay at home and raise our kids, while Nancy worked full time. At the same time I needed a job, that I could work from home, so I started running a couple of web sites. Now that is my full time job. I only run sites that are : A. owned by me, and B. interests that I enjoy.
That way I have a vested interest that runs deeper than money.

One of the most important things that I try to do with my sites is create a sense of community, one that the members care about. For example, on my largest site we recently took up a collection from the members and adopted 7 families through the Volunteers of America, organization. We were able to provided 7 families with a holiday they otherwise would not have had. Much to my wife and my surprise our sites members really were charitable and we also donated enough funds so that we were able to donate to the Gleaners food bank of SE Michigan which was enough for them to purchase 1800 meals for people in need.

I am sure we're all aware of the hardships that the economy has caused and my company will always support local companies when possible. Currently most of my servers are being housed in Dearborn Michigan, except the Chevelleforum's server. I plan on moving it to the Dearborn Server within the next few months, currently it is housed in Texas, hope no one holds that against us .

One of the events that has come out of our owning different web sites is that my wife and I have hosted a trade show in Livonia and Southfield Michigan for the last 6 years. The fest is a 2 day event, held at a local hotel and it attracts up-wards of 1000 members from our other sites. We are hopeful that if this site goes well, were able to host a Michigan Chevelle show much the same as our other. One of the highlights of each year is holding this event and we have a blast getting out there and meeting our members. To date we have probably met and shook hands with 4-5,000 friendly faces, with the majority of them being members of our other sites. we.

So there you have it. I hope that you will understand that chevelleforum.net is more than just a website to us. It is a part of our family and we welcome anyone and everyone and look forward to meeting as many members as we can in the coming months and years.

David
Old 01-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the deeper intro David, I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time here. Happy New Year--Ray
Old 01-01-2010, 06:08 PM

By the way I was only joking about Texas. I love it down there. Best BBQ I have ever had.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Thank you for the background. It is great when kids are involved in the hobby, my son is and I am cherishing the time we are spending together.

I think that there is plenty of room for enthusiasts to patronize all 3 sites and each will develop its own niche. Chevelles are a popular car, parts are easy to get and they are easy to work on. I too have learned so much from the web an have no problem paying a membership fee to help with costs, servers and storage are expensive, from what I see so far this site not only joins owners together but also helps to create friendships.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle_Nut View Post
Thank you for the background. It is great when kids are involved in the hobby, my son is and I am cherishing the time we are spending together.

I think that there is plenty of room for enthusiasts to patronize all 3 sites and each will develop its own niche. Chevelles are a popular car, parts are easy to get and they are easy to work on. I too have learned so much from the web an have no problem paying a membership fee to help with costs, servers and storage are expensive, from what I see so far this site not only joins owners together but also helps to create friendships.
Team Chevelle is great site, so is Dale's site and we'll have one here too. I've made a lot of good friends because I owned a Chevelle and I hope to make a lot more here.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 01-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the more in depth intro David.
I think its truely awesome what you do with your business. Its a great outreach helping out those that are in need. My hat is off to you buddy
Old 01-02-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle_Nut View Post
It may sound corny but to me it was about the time we spent together. Really miss my oldest son, whose now living in Texas. We spent many a weekend in the driveway arguing, while working on the chevelle and jeep.

He still calls me all the time to ask, when can he have our cars. I always tell you could at least wait till I'm dead
Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 AM

Sounds like you came up with a very cool way to combine your hobby and your livelyhood. Well done!

My oldest son is 14 and has been eager to help with the Buick since day one almost 4 years ago. He's come a long way in his knowledge of tools, parts, and how things go together.

My youngest is 11 and he's not as eager to get greasy, but he loves riding in the car, helping me get the drag radials on at the track, and shooting pictures and video whenever he gets the opportunity.

My wife realized that the car wasn't going to go away a year or so ago and has been getting me both Summit and Jim Green's Performance gift cards for birthdays, and Christmas.

She says when it's painted she'll enjoy going on a lot more drives with me.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Bowtie Member

Many years ago when David and I met I don't think that he ever understood my love of old cars. Before I even knew David I owned a 1969 Dodge Charger unfortunately it was stollen and found the next day in the middle of a field, the people who stole it took all the chrome, the wheels and seats then went for a joy ride thru a field...the car was totalled. I then owned a 1972 Challenger, let the first husband have it in the divorce cause I was wanting an old Chevy.

It took a few years, and the help of my brother, before we were lucky enough to purchase the Chevelle. My older children (25, 22 and 21) grew up watching drag racing at Detroit Dragway. So now they got to help with the sanding on the Chevelle. They loved it...not.

The 3 younger kids love going to "Cruises" with mom. Thursday night was our night out while daddy stayed home. What could be better....

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Thanks for adding to the intro Nancy. I look forward to meeting both you and Dave this next cruising season. This intro needs to be a sticky so as new members join it doesn't get lost and they can read a little about you.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle