ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Default Lets see your drag race stock suspension

Hey guys I am getting ready to assemble my frame for my 70. I want a streetable stock suspension that really shines at the drag strip. I keep bouncing around from UMI to making my own arms with rod ends and chromoly arms. I have already set up the front with del-a-lum bushings, low friction ball joints, no sway bar, and 90/10 shocks. The car will look stock down to the firestone wide ovals and I may run it with stock wheels and tires as well as the drag stars with skinnies up front and a 325/50r15 drag radial in the rear. The car is getting a 700+ hp 496 with a M22 trans and a 12 bolt with 4.10s and a brute strength posi. I do like the roto joint which is available from just about everyone.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:28 PM

I used Wolfe Racecraft arms with heim joints at all 8 points in the rear. They're designed as drag race parts, but I wanted them for the articulation for handling.

I've upgraded the axle twice, and added a link-mounted sway bar since that picture was taken.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Oh very cool. How does it drive on the street? Noisy? How was the price?
Old 12-03-2010, 12:21 PM

My car is pretty stiff anyway, but I've put about 20k miles on it so far and have no complaints... The rod-ends are getting near the end of their life expectancy though.

The 12-bolt I had in it for a couple years had noisy gears, and the solid joints definitely transferred that noise into the car. Now I have a 9" and don't really notice too much noise, except over big bumps.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with something with Johnny Joint type sphericals that aren't metal-on-metal though, and only do the Wolfe sphericals in the housing ears.

Here's their pricing: http://www.wolferacecraft.com/Search...?CategoryID=28