ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Default 9in Rear swap

I found a 9in rear out of 69 cougar with 223 gears. The dia is 59.25in and the rear in the 65 is 60.50in. I know that all the mounts have to welded on in order for it to fit and that no proplem. I just want to know how much of a diffence would the 1.25in make?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM

The early Mustang, Fairlane, Cougar, Cyclone, Torino and maybe a few others have the 9in that is the right width.

'64-'67 Chevelle rear end is 60 inches total and the '68-'72 Chevelle rear end is 61 inches total. Be sure the pinion offset is correct. The Chevelle rear end has the pinion offset 1/2 inch from center, which makes it 1 inch closer to the right side than the left.

You can have the ends changed on the 9" housing. Moser makes a housing end that uses the 9" axle bearing, but has the bolt pattern for the Chevy brakes. You can get the axles drilled for the Chevy bolt pattern.

Try Currie Enterprises for your own weld on bracket kit.

Lots of things to think about, the swap will cost more then using a 12 bolt in the long run.