ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Neighbors, what a trip.

So the guy across the street, Ed, is paying his son to do some remodeling. To start with, they are good neighbors but Ed is a real trip. He wants to be is own general contractor and wants to pay his son to do as much of the work as possible. Big mistake, the combination of the two is, well it just doesn't work out that great.

So this is a smaller job, extend the laundry room into the garage. He just had another garage, 30 x 40, built. That's a whole other story. So he had a switch box with 4 switches in it. Wanted his son Ken to extend the wires so they could move the box to a new location. Now 3 of the switches are 3 ways. 4 different cables, 3 wire plus ground coming in, plus power from the panel and wires for the single switch.

So what does Ken do. He doesn't extend one switch at a time. NO, he disconnects all the wires at the same time. So now we have around 20 wires with no idea how they're supposed to be connected.

I sorted out part of it on Friday and finished the rest today. Damn good thing he keeps a good supply of beer on hand.

Maybe I'll tell you about the new garage where Ed played general contractor another time. A 6 month job because he thinks he and Ken know what they're doing. Actually Ken just does what his dad tells him. He knows better than to question him. Some of it still has me scratching my head. Maybe I'll tell you about the addition he added on the back of his house too.

I've learned to not say anything because Ed knows everything. There is one and only one way to do something, Ed's way. Of course until he figures out he doesn't know everything and asks for help.

Oh well, I like Ed and Ann they are good neighbors. I don't mind helping them I just wish Ed would listen up front before he runs into a problem.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 PM

I know people like that ,I work for one .

John
Old 05-23-2017, 09:46 AM

For sale.
Complete set of encyclopedia britanica.
No longer needed.
Bloody wife knows everything.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Between my brother in-law and I we know everything in the world there is to know.

He knows everything except that he's an a**hole and I know that.

My Chevelle
Old 05-24-2017, 04:37 AM

Ed sounds a lot like George that came over to the Florida place after you left Hank. I'll tell you about that ordeal when I see you in Frankenmuth.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:49 AM

It's all fun until something happens, fire, collapse and the insurance company get's involved. They ask this magic question that gets them right off the hook, "what is the name of the contracting company that did the work, we need to see the permits and who did the inspections"....

I've been a electric contractor for 40 years. I pay big money for insurance, licenses and inspections for a good reason.. Stay away from there wiring my friend, you could loose your house....
Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 AM

Well I didn't actually touch any wires. I checked things out with a meter and told him what wire needed to go where. Him and son hooked everything up.

My Chevelle
Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 AM

So since you're an electrical contractor listen to this. This is part of the 'new garage' story. Ed's house was originally 100 amp service. Him and Ann raised 4 boys there and lived with 100 amp service for decades. When he added a big addition, like 20x40, on the back he upgraded to 200 amp service, a reasonable thing to do. The new garage is 30x40 and it's in between the utility pole and the house which was overhead wires. Ed wanted, well needed, to run new lines around the garage. He also wanted to upgraded again to 300 amp service. I asked him why, "Are you going to open a machine shop in the new garage?" No reasonable, answer, he just wanted it. He has a new meter box and meter installed for 300 amp. Two of his sons bury conduit and new cable from the pole to the house for 300 amp service. Turns out he thought he was going to tap in at the meter to feed the garage. Either the power company or inspector tells him no, garage has to be a sub-panel off the main panel. So he now has paid for 300 amp wiring and meter but still has a 200 amp panel in the house and garage is 100 amp sub-panel off the main panel.

I'll tell you about the rest of the dumb electrical sh** he did in the new garage later.

My Chevelle