ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body

Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 PM

Nice, that's an awesome blue, I like.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 07-03-2014, 09:43 PM

That is going to be beautiful when finished ,cant wait .

John
Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 AM

I got the trunk lid on again. Used cardboard spacers between the hinges and trunk to avoid scratching. Then once I had it bolted down slid one out and adjusted lightly tightening. Then went on to the other side. Then mr Murphy came by and helped me some. I had the ratchet under my arm and dropped it and chipped the new paint. Oh O was so pleased with myself.
I got out a cotton swab and dabbed color then literally mixed a drop of clear and put it on the affected area. I will sand and buff it out much later if i even ever do. It is covered by the tail chrome so I got lucky there. That was yesterday before I went to the 4rth party held on the 5th at my sisters.
I was doing test sands on panel fitments. Door to fender, hood to nosepiece etc etc see what changed in all this taking things off. Most of it wont take long to block back out. Nosepiece did change some when the brace was torqued down. It looked good wet sanded and wet in the reflection. So I be messing with that a little straightening it out. I will loosen the brace to core support and see if it will lower any. 64th of a inch would do it.
It is just enough to feel running your hand from hood to nose. But because of the rounded area there looks fine in the shine.
I plan to paint the rear black stripe next and the outside of the glove box door I never got around to doing.
I need to order the til piece and some dash gaskets for the tailights and air handler box. Just so i got a flow of work to do once it is painted and I am not waiting on stuff.
I do figure i will be prepping the body and garage for months tho. Since mom helped me miss this window of opportunity weather wise. It to hot and humid to do big stuff now. Jambs I good with. I will prep it then just have to wait till the weather cools some. I got to scrub the garage of body dust and make whatever I using for a paint booth.
I been putting my pictures in the album and then using them to post in this thread. Since originally I was posting straight to the thread and nobody could see them they were tiny. Well I open to suggestions. I got to start deleting stuff to continue soon and that will leave holes in the thread pics unless I use photobucket. But then I foget and clean out the bucket and same issue arises.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:30 PM

I always hate it when Murphy shows up. At least it will be covered up. Sounds like your making some good progress! Hopefully we get a few more cool days so you can get some more painting done. I like using photobucket because when I take pictures with my phone the photobucket app automatically uploads them to the site and I can put them in whichever album they belong and share them easily.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:20 PM

Workin on moms house last time before inspection today.
I been blockin the door to fender. Getting things back where they were before it came apart. Lookin for flaws. Wet sandin and lookin for waves with the light. Got the roof sanded. This may take a while no rush. It does seem like this is the last go over. Primer and it may be ready for paint after the next sand. Cross my fingers.Now that so much is finished I spend more time cleaning this than working. It is heart breaking seeing the perfect new paint get dusty and dirty.
As far as I know untill mom and dad get occupancy I can start putting in some hours now for a while. Then I got to help move them.

It will never run again I tell you. [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 AM

The panel from H#LL. Paint sagged first time. I re-sanded and got it done. I spent the morning mopping up bondo dust and masking got her sprayed now off to work a while.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:22 PM

I ain't sleepin here. I been blocking everything. ReBlending the panels. I ran into some rocker panel waves I ain't having. I will mess with those next round. I think one more prime after this and it is ready. Sure isn't like painting the van for sure. Van I got done in weeks.
I sand and wet it looking for anything i don't like. Then block again after it is dry. Wet and clean it again. I spend more time cleaning now than working.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Still blockin.
I got my board and I chasin waves............................Wait I ain't surfin.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 PM

you're getting there man. Hang in there and be patient and thorough as you have been. Good job!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblockray View Post
you're getting there man. Hang in there and be patient and thorough as you have been. Good job!
Thanks I been spending a few hours daily when I can between my work. It is getting there.

I been messing with the center line on the hood. The hardest thing know to man to fix. They all got it. Where the Bracing was welded on the bottom for the SS bulges and it slightly warped the metal. On the ridge between the humps. The little almost imperceptible dip on the center ridge. That you got to look at sitting in the car. Charlie anal just wont let it go. 35 complex curves all meeting in one place. Only 3 places you can block the rest has to be hand/finger sanded. Work on that a while get aggravated and block a fender or door out and come back to it.

This part just takes alot longer working around fresh paint. All the extra cleaning and masking. Place can't be a sty like before. But I am seeing the light now. I go down and see the car and think wow that is really nice now. Instead of OMG what a mess what did I get myself into again.

It is a sickness I think.All this painstaking work. After this one is done I going to find another to start for my 6 Y/O son. He already starting the Daddy when can I get a chevelle stuff. So 2-3 more years buying and assembling this one. Get him one by the time he old enough to appreciate and take care of it his be done. And he be in the garage with me working not out getting in trouble is the plan.

I about to go down and enjoy that some more before my first appointment shows up. Cutting off stripped wheel studs and replace them. Guy can't get his wheel off to do his brakes. I get all the fun stuff.