ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 10-31-2017, 05:36 PM

Default Gotta love Obama Care

It's great that some people are getting free or cheap medical insurance now. I'm just not real thrilled that I'm paying for it. We've had medical insurance through Michigan Public Schools Retirement system for years and it's been great.

Pre Obama care, I fractured my pelvis. Two weeks in the hospital and a month of therapy. Also had a month of therapy for a messed up rotator cuff. Cost us a $250 deductible. Lynda had a total knee replacement. Couple days in the hospital and 2 months of therapy, cost us a $250 deductible.

Lynda's going in for surgery tomorrow. She's getting a hiatal hernia repaired. In addition to the deductible there is a 10% co-insurance, $1200. That's just for the surgery, may be more for all the extras, anesthetist, etc. that are billed separately. If you need therapy for some reason, $75 a visit. Three days a week for a month = $900.

I'm glad some people are making out on this deal. Just wish it was me or at least not coming out on the short end.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle

Last edited by Hank70SS; 10-31-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:31 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, not related to Obama care, but we have to be at the hospital at 5:30 tomorrow morning. I know that would work fine for Tony but I'm not crazy about getting up that early, 30-45 minute drive to hospital. Going to be a long day, at least Lynda get's to sleep through a lot of it.

My Chevelle
Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 PM

Yes ,it really messed it up for everyone that aint getting it free .My premiums went up .my co pays went up ,some drugs are just not covered anymore , and my benefits went down. My out of pocket costs doubled .

John
Old 11-01-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Yes ,it really messed it up for everyone that aint getting it free .My premiums went up .my co pays went up ,some drugs are just not covered anymore , and my benefits went down. My out of pocket costs doubled .
yeah, many of us are in the same boat [and it is sinking]
Old 11-01-2017, 05:16 AM

Hope all goes well for Lynda. At 5:30, AM I'm already on my second pot of coffee.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 AM

Hank, can you use some of that 2500 that bho said you were going to save to pay your deductible?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Prayers for Lynda's full and speedy recovery.

Both of us are retired but do not qualify for Obamy care.
Up until Oct, we paid $2500/month for BC/BS Gold health ins...$4800 ded

I got to fire them one month ago when I turned 65...big "pay raise" !!
Any my wife will be 65 in Feb '18
Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintTony View Post
Hank, can you use some of that 2500 that bho said you were going to save to pay your deductible?
I'm still waiting for that Tony. When it comes it should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
Prayers for Lynda's full and speedy recovery.

Both of us are retired but do not qualify for Obamy care.
Up until Oct, we paid $2500/month for BC/BS Gold health ins...$4800 ded

I got to fire them one month ago when I turned 65...big "pay raise" !!
Any my wife will be 65 in Feb '18
Lynda worked part time jobs in the schools. Reading aid, lunch monitor, after school homework help. Just part time stuff that changed over the years. She was going to quit right when they raised the cost of insurance through my work. I said, "hang on, see what it takes to retire instead of just quitting." We bought her several years of service so she could retire and get medical insurance as a retiree. Her pension isn't much so that plus a few hundred a year got us good insurance.

Lynda turned 65 last year, I did in June this year. So we have a medicare advantage plan. Didn't really save anything, they take medicare out of social security and we add to that for insurance. Less than before but now the SS check is smaller.

Some people need help and deserve help, I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with the idiots that have 6 kids but can't really afford to raise 1 properly. So we get to pay for their insurance, lunches at school, etc., etc. Okay, time to jump down off the soap box.

Oh, Lynda did fine. They pushed the stomach back down below the diaphragm were it belongs. Closed the hole in the diaphragm and stitched in some biological mesh stuff. The body doesn't reject it, actually grows around it so the diaphragm should be stronger and hopefully it doesn't happen again. It was robotic surgery. They didn't open her up, just 5 little slits.

My Chevelle
Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 PM

hank, my girlfriend, who is 65 had that mess replaced earlier this year too, was causing her urination issues. I am 59, so even though I at 30 yrs at my job, I need health insurance plus I pay child support yet as I have a 14 yr old son.

but, I like these old cars, and now I am in talks with seller on a 69 Malibu. how crazy. I have several Pontiacs, and got a 79 trans am last year. boys and their toys!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
hank, my girlfriend, who is 65 had that mess replaced earlier this year too, was causing her urination issues. I am 59, so even though I at 30 yrs at my job, I need health insurance plus I pay child support yet as I have a 14 yr old son.

but, I like these old cars, and now I am in talks with seller on a 69 Malibu. how crazy. I have several Pontiacs, and got a 79 trans am last year. boys and their toys!
Did she have a bladder suspension? They've been using a mesh for that for years but I guess they've had an issue with it. Especially those done years ago.

You definitely need health insurance unless you're rich. Pretty sure none of us here are that well off. I'll see today how much more this is going to cost when they release Lynda today.

Tony, guess I can do some vacuuming and dishes. As long as she cleans up the leaves and cuts the grass.

My Chevelle