ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 11-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Default Summer projects

A little bit of what we had going on this summer.

We ripped out all the old shrubs over a year ago. Neither of us could decide what to do with the front of the house so we decided to call a landscaper, a friend of our daughters since middle school. They came up with a plan for new plants out front and down the side.

I told Lynda we needed to replace the front walk. She said why, we never use it. I said because it looks like crap. You want the front to look nice, well that walk has to go. It was only 2' wide going along the side of the garage and less than 2' out. Sunk and tilted. Chad, landscaper said we can do pavers so that's the next pictures.

... to be continued.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 11-15-2017, 11:57 AM

Lynda said if you want a new walk out front what about the patio in back. It's cracked and sinking. So we got a new patio in back as well.

There was a stairway coming from deck down to patio before. Three steps down, a 4' landing then another 3 steps down. Came way out almost to middle of patio. I ripped that out, 7 4x4s cemented in, they didn't want that going anywhere. There are 2 other stairways coming down from deck so I may just finish off wall and not replace the stairs. Brown tarp looks kind of tacky but keeps the north wind from filling the patio with snow in the winter.

Original patio only came out a few inches past the post. Now it extends another 4-5' farther.

More to follow.

My Chevelle
Old 11-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Notice in last picture that part of the breezeway roof is unfinished. It was leaking at the outside corner from above. I ripped all the aluminum and wood trim off. The beams at the outside corner and at the house were all rotted along with the last truss. The aluminum trim was holding the water in so it wasn't real obvious. So new beams on all 3 sides. I re-sloped the roof on the other side to create a valley, you can't see it in any of the pictures. It use to run down and dead end into the gable end of the small roof/overhang running along above garage doors. Also had a hole through it for the downspout from above. Guaranteed leak point, all gone now.

We tried to figure out how to hang corner of roof from I beam that supports upstairs deck. Weld a bracket to the I beam? Finally came up with this.

Three 3' x 3/8" steel straps. They're lagged into the deck joist above which is a double joist. The other corner is hanging from the house so we eliminated the 2 posts that help up that roof. We started with 4 posts under upstairs deck and 2 under breezeway roof. Now we're down to 2 posts, sure opened things up.

Notice trailer in right side of picture. Friend lent me his aluminum break so I could replace all the trim I tore down. Have one more piece to bend and have to reconfigure down spouts. Not going to finish underneath this year. Want to make sure there are no leaks before I close it all up

Also can't see in any of the pictures is roof over upstairs deck. Leaking as well so I peeled off all the old rolled roofing. It wasn't leaking inside but down into aluminum trim on outside. Repaired over half of the trusses and face board along with 2' feet of roof board all the way across. Three feet of rubber weather shield, drip edge and then a new metal roof and flashing at the house. So I thing that issue is resolved.

That's what I've been up to. Along with dragging hoses around all summer. Trying to keep all the new bushes watered as well as new grass. We had 4 large spruce trees taken down out front. You can actually see our house from the street now.

My Chevelle

Last edited by Hank70SS; 11-15-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 PM

Looks great .I had 30 trees taken out here late spring and wish I had taken more .Got plenty of firewood .

John
Old 11-16-2017, 03:37 AM

Man, you did a LOT of work Hank! Everything looks good, nice work. How did you have time to get all of Henry's shit fixed too? You must have hired some of them guys that hang out in front of Home Depot.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 AM

John, we had 3 very large spruce trees at the end of the driveway at the street. Our boat sat behind them for years, went to our sons house last year. After trees were gone neighbor asked "Where's your boat?" Had to tell him it's been gone for over a year. Also another where the driveway turns into the garage. Also had a sickly white pine and another tree removed in the front. Sure changed the look of things.

Tony, I've helped Henry a few times but not that much this year, well not as much as last year. Spent last weekend on his roof trying to fix a leak. It rained yesterday and he said it still leaks. We're out of ideas as to where the water is coming in.

Did you notice in the pictures all the leaves on the ground, also all the leaves in trees. We cleaned up all those leaves 2 days ago. Rain and wind yesterday and it looks like we didn't do anything.

My Chevelle
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM

Looking good.