ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle Gallery

Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM

I've been slow on progress due to being poor but took 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I got an original clutch linkage and pedal setup which is what i really wanted over a new aftermarket one. I got a Hurst Competition Plus shifter and got the driveshaft taken care of. While cleaning parts I noticed the bellhousing had a big crack in it that ran from the clutch fork hole to the mounting surface by the engine side. I also noticed a few smaller cracks and some big pitting inside after scraping out all the grease and cleaning off the remaining film. It looks like someone had a clutch explode at one time. I decided not to use this bellhousing and went on with a 403 unit I found for sale locally with the rest of the stuff I picked up. I got the smaller 10.5" clutch anyway so it won't be a big deal unless I decide to upgrade in the future. Then I'll spring for a 621 Bellhousing. I got everything all mocked up and ran into a problem with hooking up a reverse lockout and the TCS. I'd like to keep it as stock looking as possible. I am currently trying to figure out how to hook up the backdrive rod with this shifter. I'm looking up PDF files for the shifter installation and it is showing a different Hurst-supplied rod. Looks like I'll have to give them a call when I get some more cash saved up. All-in-all it seems pretty straightforward and one of the easiest conversions so far. I think before I go any further into this project I need to unload some crap I have packed into the garage to give me some working room. I'll have to remember to bring in my camera to work to download the pictures I have so far.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 AM

Thats how ya sneak up on it.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM

I got another update: This is a major update that is totally changing the direction of this car at the moment. I picked up a 1970 Chevelle SS396 original Shadow Gray with black vinyl bucket interior U14 gauges and a few other goodies like 4.10 12bolt. My hopes of finding a build sheet in the car are going to be slim seeing as the drivers side door and back seat have both been changed on the car. The rear seat looks to be out of a GTO by the style of it and the drivers side door has maroon paint inside the door jamb. The gas tank is also MIA. The car came without a motor/trans in it although it did come with a bunch of goodies in the trunk and inside floor as well as a bunch of other stuff that I had to load into my Suburban. It is set up as a poor man's drag car with a fuel cell in the trunk, aluminum fuel line ran next to the original lines on the frame and a trunk mounted battery kit. It must have had a decent engine in it judging from the leftovers like Moroso solid motor mounts and the electric fuel pump, dual feed lines off the regulator, and the remnants of an MSD ignition system mounted to the firewall/wheel well. Another thing I found was the extended studs on the axles (had a hard time changing out the wheels with the 4-way bar so I took a chance and pulled it home on old rubber).
Overall, it is a fairly solid, original roller. The roof skin and pass side quarter are the worst parts of the whole car. I found a small amount of rot from the windshield leaking on the top of the dash and it will need a drivers side floorpan patch. The hood and decklid have rot and will be replaced along with both front fenders either getting patched or replaced. I'm leaning towards patching them since they are only rotted through on the bottoms. Someone welded a set of tow bar mounts to the bottom of the front bumper so it will be getting a replacement and the plastic inner fenders have some cracks and holes that shouldn't be there. It needs some interior work-mostly carpet, headliner, and seat covers with drivers side bottom foam. I'll work on getting some pics up but I somehow killed my camera and my phone lens at the same time.
This is the only picture I have for now... Now I'm just trying to figure out how to break the news to the woman... I'm thinking more than likely the Malibu will have to go up for sale but not before I swap a smallblock back into it so I can keep my stuff thats in it. I can't wait...

Last edited by Berg; 05-11-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 PM

Have you hooked up with the Long Island Chevelle Club ? They are a great bunch of guys , at least one is a N.Y. City cop and I believe one also a fireman .Dont get to see them much except online as they have not been to the last couple of Chevellabrations .Maybe some of them will be at the Northern Ohio Show this year. Good luck with the build on the second car and the sale of the first one. Id just keep them both if possible.

John
Old 05-05-2011, 01:00 AM

Good luck on your new project. Great color choice.

Ray
Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Ray- I knew you'd be partial to this car.
Flash-I thought I was a member from some years ago but none of my usual names or passwords worked so i might have to email the administrator. The smallblock and automatic is back in the original 70 Malibu and I got some other things buttoned up on it. I got the engine in and then thought how much easier it would have been to install the new brake lines on the distribution block without the headers being right up against it. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. The new car is a beauty... sort of. The dash is the best part of it. Uncut with the factory defroster.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 PM

Last edited by Berg; 05-11-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM

check out the factory washer jar/overflow container remounted with the battery isolation stud for the starter. Trunk mounted battery and fuel cell will be removed in favor of a factory correct tank and tray. The solid motor mounts will most likely disappear too. My buddies were diggin the aluminum cooling fan. I gotta get my pictures to download of the interior but we had to use my friends girlfriends camera since i somehow broke the adjuster on the lens of mine. It is so hard not to strip out the other car for this one. I'm probably better off selling it whole and using the funds towards this one.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Its been a busy week. Tomorrow I'm going with my girlfriend to pick up her new 2011 Camaro 2LT with the RS package. She was going to get the cyber gray but instead decided on the Blue since someone else in town ended up with the gray one. For a V6 they still have 312hp and it really gets up and goes, not to mention stops and turns too! The car really sticks to the road and is a great addition to the family. Since my old Malibu is kind of rough i'm thinking about keeping it and doing some work to preserve it. I'm going to look for a 700R4 or a TH2004R to drop in it behind a freshened up engine and rebuild the brakes (been on the list for some time now) and I'll have a car I can drive no matter what the weather. I need a bigger driveway for sure. As it is one of the Suburbans and the Malibu have to leave the yard for a while since we got the 2 new ones. I wish i had an old barn to fit everything in.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Just some more shots of the car. The drivers side floor is the worst spot in the whole car. There is some more rot here and there but not nearly as much as the other car had when I had gotten it.