ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 11-08-2014, 05:45 PM

That dash looks better than new .

John
Old 11-08-2014, 09:08 PM

Looks brand new. Class A job
Old 11-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Time for this weeks episode of Randy's Rant.
Ya know My cars came from michigan, texas and missouri. The 3 I combining for this one that had titles.
I see people trash talk peoples restorations by the parts used and the way they are assembled. Because it isn't in the book they bought.
Well unless there was a nationwide conspiracy to defraud cars in the 60's and 70's then the books they use are a guide and not gospel.
My cars all have the same wrong parts on them. Not what I seeing what they should have in certain peoples trash talk. I am a expert sessions when they are discussing weather a car is authentic or not. Seems alot of under hood left over 67 parts were used in 68. Or everybody got together and put the exact same parts on across the country. You see the condition of the cars I starting with. I doubt anybody changed oil on them much less changed parts. Low mileage ragged out trash.

Any how what got me going on this rant. My ignition switch wouldn't fit. I had 2 different screw on pieces and it wouldnt fit with the bezel I got. Well I got the other different parts and the bracket on the back of the bezel and the part that fits in the bezel were different. It handled now but it just made me think. Wow some people read alot but never actually worked on these cars.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:17 PM

Well I am test fitting things using one of the old gauges and dash that I had laying around. There is a way to get this stuff all to fit I am sure of it. And a order of assembly which makes it less a nightmare. Oh we having fun now. In, out, in, out. I using the old stuff testing do don't marr the one I using.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 AM

Most people who trash talk cars don't own one and have no idea what they are talking about. I have learned to ignored them.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Most people who trash talk cars don't own one and have no idea what they are talking about. I have learned to ignored them.
True. I was just aggravated that day. Car clearly had parts that were not shall we say concourse restoration from the factory and it was causing me grief getting the ignition in. But having so many extra parts saved me I pulled the right part off of another dash.

I am waiting on the bulbs to come now it ready to go in. Killin me here. They were supposed to have come yesterday.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 AM

Well the tracking number says my bulbs for the dash lights and turn signals etc are in cincinatti. Maybe I will get them today so I can continue tomorrow.
I found 20 for 12 bucks on E Bay. Which is alot better than 45 dollars for them cheapest I found locally. blister 2 packs for 6 bucks what is that? They are 25 cent a piece bulbs.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 PM

Drum roll and Rimshot. We got dash bulbs.

I did the underhood wiring harness today. Same ol, took it apart cleaned connections, inspected wires.

Seems somebody left the wipers on and turned the key off in this cars history. Tsk Tsk.

It rained sleeted or snowed something and froze them down. Hit the key and they froze down. Instant melted wires.

Never crossed anywhere. but they were stuck together. Insulation melted together on the 2 affected wires.
So I pulled them out and soldered the ends on a new wire of the correct color and put it back together.

So it is rejuvenated. Joke is once the engine goes in I will rewire for the new alternator. HEI. But that factory voltage regulator will be there looking like brand new doing nothing.

I a funny cuss ain't I? Go through all this restoration of things making sure they perfect knowing it going to be modified. But I like the stock body parts to be there and look like they should even if that system has been upgraded.
I do my best to hide the alterations and make it look factory. Like the frame and suspension stuff. Alter the geometry a tad and boxed in the control arms. Look under there you would never know.

I got dealer stickers for it when it is done. Maher Chevrolet. My buddy says it is truly a Maher chevrolet now. Hand built by a Maher. He is a retired chevrolet line worker. We hang out in the shop. He jokes with me saying I fixing the stuff they should have done in the first place.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Did you have the dealer stickers made up? If so where and can you post of pic. Always thought this would be a good idea.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM

No I googled chevrolet dealerships and my name just popped up. I called them and talked to the manager. He sent me the stickers. I actually was asking if they had the chrome type from the 60's. He said they were not there then all he had was stickers they put on the new cars. I got the stickers but i don't know where at the moment. I looked briefly when I put the back window in.

EDIT: If I find them I will post it. I know I got them still. I did the old put them up so I wont loose them deal. I remember doing it but can't remember where I stashed them.

I got the gauges in and that was a long hard deal. Air vents in the way of everything. It is wired. heat and air controls in and that where I stopped for the day.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 07:20 PM.