ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 AM

Default Steering Wheel solution

I have a reproduction '69 Rosewood wheel for my car, but at 16" dia, it's WAY too big for autocross... I also have a 14" dia Grant GT wheel that I have been swapping in for autocrossing, but it's a big PITA as it takes using a steering wheel puller to pull the both of them.

So I started my search, and found that a lot of aftermarket wheels use the same 6-hole 2.75" bolt pattern that the GMs do, including some really lame JDM "type R" wheels. ...so I bought one anyway.

put it on my Rosewood base, and it fits... but the holes are "clocked" wrong. So if I want to use it, it'll be 15deg off-center. See the hole pattern below for comparison...

Well, that stupid looking horn button I'm not using, but it made a good fixture to drill some new holes in the right orientation.

Now I can swap steering wheels in just a couple minutes with only a phillips screwdriver, and that ugly yellow band around the top of it will easily show me wheel-position in my in-car autocross videos.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM

What's that saying, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Good idea, quick change steering wheel.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle