ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevrolet Corner

Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Default Help with my 'burb...AGAIN

Hey folks...

I have a problem with my DD '96 gmc suburban. I was driving home last night and the CHECK GAGES light came on and my oil pressure went to 0 a few times. It seemed like it wanted to happen more at idle (light and oil pressure drop) or lower engine speeds, and didn't happen but intermittently.

I thought that gauge wasn't a "real" oil pressure gauge, and didn't REALLY show the true engine oil pressure. I was driving gingerly, and carefully watching/listening, but still needed to make it home. This is my only vehicle right now.

Before I made it home, a ticking sound started to accompany the light and gauge failure. I say gauge failure because I'm hoping it is a sending unit or electrical connection somewhere, and not that the engine is about to let go. I can't (as if anyone can) afford for it to die right now. When the engine was up around 2500 or so, oil pressure would spurt back up to around 40-60 on the gauge and the light would go off simultaneously.

Anyways, about a mile from home, a distinct knock started to become prominent, but would subside when the CHECK GAGES light went off.

I'm lost, know nothing about where to start, and am TERRIBLY worried that a rod or something is knocking. What a nice Christmas present.

Any ideas? Help please. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

I've had that happen way too many times over the years. Given the miles on it, I want to say oil pump?If you didn't drive it too far you should be ok.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Should be a bypass on the filter but I would change the oil and filter. May not help at all but it's relatively cheap.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
Should be a bypass on the filter but I would change the oil and filter. May not help at all but it's relatively cheap.
I would start there also, but sounds like a oil pump and the knocking would be from lack of oil to the rods.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
I would start there also, but sounds like a oil pump and the knocking would be from lack of oil to the rods.
Does sound like the pump but they have a relatively low failure rate. Anyway an oil change doesn't cost much and it's easy.

My Chevelle
Old 12-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Thanks guys...I have a delco filter and 5 qts, I'll change oil tonight or tomorrow before work and see what happens. 156k on the clock.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Good luck Jake, I know you don't need a big expense right now. An oil pump isn't too expensive but the time involved could be a problem. Don't know if the pan on that engine can be removed with the engine in. Probably, I've heard of people doing it on a Chevelle with a big block. Not easy but can be done.

My Chevelle
Old 12-12-2010, 10:53 AM

When a DD is down it is a pain.

An oil pump is a simple object, something caused it to fail. I would pull the engine and see what is in the pan, sounds like the pickup screen is plugged. If your timing gears are teflon coated and the teflon has started to come off you will drop the pressure. When this happens the pressure tends to go away as the truck is running, do you have any pressure cold?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:47 AM

Oil pressure is back up, and no stupid light. I guess it must have been the filter. When I changed the oil, it was a bit low, and has been obviously leaking. I saw some on the pan behind the damper towards the front, and some that looks to have sprayed back on more or less everything else underneath. Not sure where it is leaking from or how quickly.

Anyways, I have decent oil pressure, and no idiot light, but there is a ticking or knocking sound that wasn't there prior to this shenanigan. I am nervous about what it could be... distributor gear? oil pump? ticking valve? rod? your guess is as good as mine.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Banned

Just a piece of dirt in there. That's what I tell my customers. Hopefully it was just a fluke.