ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Default dash conversion $$$

i want to convert my normal dash and gauges to the ss dash with the round gauge cluster. On Ausley's Chevelle at they have an entire kit that comes with everything but the heater vents and the top dash pad for $1750.00. Is this too expensive or a good deal?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Sounds a little steep to me but I haven't added up all the parts required.

New dash carrier is around $350. Gauge cluster is probably most expensive part. You need the housing, lens plus all the gauges, that could run well over $500. Then you need a new harness unless you want to try to convert the existing. Guess it could add up to that much. Have you checked ebay for some of the parts like gauge cluster or at least the gauges?

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM

well this is a link to the kit im talkin about. like i said it comes with most everything i need including the wiring harness. http://www.chevelle.com/1970-72-SS-D...P5009C442.aspx
Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM

One thing nice about having a 71 is the gauge cluster is not as expensive as a 70. I saw one on another site for $125, but no guarantee they work. A fully restored set of gauges will run between $400 to $1000 as a guess. Like said above the repro dash bezel is around $350, a orginal glove box door $20 (you should already have one), SS ash tray $40, lower column plate $10, and a restored wiring harness $300 or have yours redone for SS gauges $200. This is if you want to keep it as close to orginal. A restored orginal SS Dash bezel is at least $1000 or more. The car will hold it value better if you try to stay close to orginal.

Ray
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM

I have priced this out and unless you find someone who has original stuff for cheap, it is about what it would cost to piece it together. Also keep in mind that is a price for all brand new aftermarket parts. I'm personally kind of hesitant on running an aftermarket dash carrier but I might end up with one also. My original sweep dash is kind of beat and I'd like to do the conversion and I'd like to replace my wire harness anyway. Most people that have gauges either need to have them refinished/restored for a few hundred or they have a clean set and know what they are worth. it is hard to touch an original clean working SS cluster for under $500 and a carrier that doesn't have any cracks or doesn't need serious resto goes for around $300 anyway. All the little light bulb retainers and clips and other various items add up when you are piecing it all together. if you get it all from the same place, you usually pay the freight and shipping once instead of ordering from 5 or 6 sources and paying a shipping charge on each one. Even so, you may choose at that point to upgrade your dash pad and whatnot so it comes out to around $1000 to $1800 to piece together an assembly anyway. At least some of these companies take the guesswork out of it and send you the whole kit.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM

I have a 72 El Camino SS and a 72 Malibu convertible and by far I like the malibu's sweep dash much better than the SS dash .Its brighter at night and just easier to see .

John
Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 AM

Im on the fence to do this conversion as well. After doing the research and finding out what its gonna cost Ive decided to go with a classic dash set up. http://www.classicdash.com/shopping/...er-Gauges.html
Ive found these packages in the low $600.00 dollar range. I'm not interested in OEM correct replacements. Its a sweep gauge Malibu. I'm just looking for some better looking gauges than the sweep , with updated technolgy.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 AM

If I was going to do a dash replacement I would use the classic dash as well .After seeing that from the above post I like it. It looks cleaner than a stock SS dash and much less expensive.

John
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM

thanks smokenjoe. thats actually a pretty good lookin dash. i like that you can order different style gauges for it also.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 AM

I guess from the looks of it you have to cut out your original sweep dash plastic out of the carrier. I guess the good news is if your dash was hacked up for a stereo or had other switches and stuff mounted in it you get a clean start.