ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 02-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Administrator

NEXT UPDATE: Great news, been off the meds now for 6 months and feel pretty good. Haven't had to do a breathing treatment in almost 4 months.......still have to take my COPD meds but that's a givin for the rest of my life.

Went back and saw my Orthopedic Surgeon Doctor cuz my right knee (had meniscus surgery in 06) was bothering me for a little while. Great News Ken.....your now bone on bone.......oh boy !! I have a new procedure that I do and your a perfect candidate for it. I make a cut about only 3 or 4 inches long, resculpt the ends of the bones, put metal caps on them along with something that takes the place of the meniscus. Probably be on a walker for a week or so, then a cane for same period of time and with rehab during this time I'll be good to go.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:56 PM

Good deal Ken glad your on the mend.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Ken, I have the same knee problem. I've been getting the "rooster fat" shots for a while. They aren't working anymore and the saw-bones wants to replace the knee. I don't want it replaced. I want to keep all my stock parts. I would be interested in hearing more about this procedure that your doc is telling you about. Are you going to get it done?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 AM

Replacing the ends of the bones with a metal cap is the latest procedure. I hear it's not as major as a full knee replacement and shorter recovery time. Lynda had one replaced a few years ago and says she'll never do it again.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Hanks right....latest procedure with less recovery time.......I HOPE. Judy's gonna have one hip done shortly then after she's mended I'll have my right knee done.

I'll let ya know how it goes Tony.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:50 AM

Ok thanks Ken. Most people that I know who have had knee replacements are not too happy with the results. What is the name for this procedure?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:13 AM

Good luck to Judy. From everything I've heard the hip replacement recovery is very quick, nothing like a full knee replacement.

Lynda didn't like the pain and recovery from her knee replacement but it's a lot better than before. It no longer hurts all the time, just doesn't feel quite normal sometimes.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Had my 1st gel shot on Thursday and Saturday I went to Detroit Autorama and walked on the cement for a little over 8 hours. Knee felt pretty good but my calf muscles were hard as a rock. Ok now. Next shot on Thursday.

Judy goes in to see same Doctor as me on the 13th for her hip. That Doctor has worked on Judy's Mother, Brother Larry, Brother Robert, Brother In Law JR and Me.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:32 AM

Are you getting 5 shots total Ken? That is what they did to me for a couple of years, but now it's only one big shot.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Administrator

UPDATE: Well Judy had her left hip done on April 9th. April 15th I went in for a week with Pneumonia. No problems there...…..May 2nd, I had a hard time going to sleep with 2 pains on my chest on the right side. Had to call 911 and go to ER. It ended up being 2 blood clots on my right lung. After 3 days and 5 IV bags of Heparin I was sent back home. On May 10th I had another bad pain on the left side and I thought it was just a pulled muscle......nope another blood clot on left lung. 4 days and 6 IV bags of Heparin and back home.

Been over 5 weeks for Judy and she still has a lot of swelling in left foot and ankle and still on the walker. Physical Therapist says she's doing pretty good...we go back to see the Doctor on the 24th.

Yeah Tony its 5 shots.....1 a week.