ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Performance > Chevelle Drag Racing

Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM

"In the day" (whatever that means) is was US 30 for those of us in and around Chicago land. I also hear Route 66 near Joliet is really nice as well.
Ah the good ole days.
69 Chevelle SS
Yes, we are Chevelle Crazy.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 PM

My dad use to race at Dragway 42 in west Salem, Ohio back in the 60s and the very early 70s. I don't remember too much about it, but I know it's still active.

I am more familiar with Norwalk (now Summit Raceway Park). I finally raced there, in the Chevelle, on a test and tune night about 6 years ago. That my was first and last time downn a 'big boy' drag strip. The tranny wasn't shifting right and she ran in the 16s. It's pretty cool seeing it on TV and thinking "Hey, I ran there before!" Hopefullt when I get my car done, the place will still be standing so I can improve on my timeslip.

http://s844.photobucket.com/home/72Chevelle/allalbums
Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Lions. That says it all.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 AM

US131 Dragway in Martin, MI. Back in the day when the Popular Hotrodding Championships were run it was the place to be. In 1968 I left part of my oil pan, crankshaft, and rods (not to mention a lot of oil) at the starting line. My 301 in a Model A didn't like me dropping the hammer at over 7 grand!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Holiday Raceway, Woodstock, AL
http://www.holidayraceway.com
Lots of room, an excellent track surface, and owners that care. Love the slow down area, it goes uphill, making slow downs easy.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

Pa. route 217. In my younger years with my Z/28.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Cecil County Dragway,Rising Sun,Md. Traction capital of the East Coast!Great facility,great people.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
US 30 was a cool strip. The new one had a sweet launch pad. Route 66 is a pretty nice place to. Indy will always be near the top for me.

Detroit dragway is special since its the place my wife and I first meet.
US 30, now that brings a tear to my eye. Nothing but weeds now. The last time I was over that way I stopped and payed my respects. You could still see rubber and a faint hint of the starting line. The AHRA shield was still readable too!
Let's not forget Oswego. Last time that way I hauled a load of trees out of the Nursery that was there. Now I hear it is becoming/became a housing subdivision.
Also been hearing that Union Grove may have afight coming over noise restrictions!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnys1977 View Post
Also been hearing that Union Grove may have afight coming over noise restrictions!
That fight has already started. Back in November already the city called a suprise meeting to discuss the noise issue. Too bad for them word got and from what I hear a good number of racers showed up. The issue with union grove is not limited just to Great Lakes Dragway though, its several noise makers in Union Grove, businesses and such. A study had been performed and as I recall Great Lakes Dragway wasnt all that particularly loud at peak.

I think it had to do with some developers coming in and causing a ruckus about noise.

I see the same thing happening to our track up here, Wisconsin International Raceway. These idiots build right across the street from a track that has been there since 1968 and then complain about noise. So far the city has agreed it is there own problem for building there, but enough people will sway decisions. What a bunch of crap.

Jeff
2006 Cadillac CTS-V LS2 and a 6 speed
Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Bowtie Member

I totally agree. With Detroit Dragway, some of the racers tried to get it declaired a historical site, because of the time it had been around and the racers who had raced there. But they did not have a big enough voice, and the dragway soon became an industrial park. It sucks....

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org