ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 06-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Default First week at the "new" job...

I've been putting in more hours each day. Today was the longest day by far... 6:45am - 7:30pm. They wanted me to work tomorrow too. I had to decline, seeing how I promised my father to work on his truck. I work my other job Sundays still, and this coming Sunday will be no exception. I foresee working 7 days a week and putting in 70+ hours a week pretty soon.

That said, seriously considering selling the Firebird too. I don't see me getting to it anytime soon. And, I may entertain putting the Chevelle in climate-controlled storage for at least a year.

Might as well go after the money while I can. ::shrug::
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 PM

There was a time I thought working all the hours I could was worth it. Life is too short to work all the time. I missed out on a lot of things now I regret missing. No one says I wished I had worked more hours when they are near the end of their life, instead they say I wished I had spent more time with family and friends. I wish you the best no matter what you do, and good luck with your new job.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:51 AM

If you really need the money then I guess you need to work the hours. Only you can decide whether the money or time is more important. I was lucky when working, the extra money would have been nice but we didn't 'need' it. I had to work overtime at times, I repaired mainframe computers the first half of my career. When a bank's mainframe goes down you don't go home until it's up and running again. I would trade some of the overtime hours for time off, our kids where young then.

That was me though and you have to do whats right for you. Good luck on the new job.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Bowtie Member

I agree with Ray and Hank, both for different reasons.

Ray made a good point. I spent most of my life from my mid 20's thru my mid 40's working in Management. I worked 65+ hrs a week and missed out on so many things with my kids. Many things I regret not making the time for.

Hank, also makes a good point. You are the only one who can decide what is more important, the time or the money. In this economy it is a hard question to answer. We never know what is around the corner for us.

You do what is right for you. And we all wish you the best of luck.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 PM

I just started working for a used car lot.

For now, it's part time, but he wants me to take over the shop eventually and run it as manager. In the mean time, I'm keeping my shop open and getting some promised projects out the door. I'm kind of facing the same situation but with a different perspective.

I literally worked myself into the hospital when I was in my 20's. About two weeks before I collapsed and was rushed to the hospital, my dad told me, "If you don't slow down, your body is going to find a way to MAKE you slow down." I was working over 100 hours per week and clearing about $2,500/week. Looking back, no amount of money was worth the time and health I lost.

My suggestion is to proceed with caution from here.

Last edited by earthquake68; 06-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake68 View Post

For now, it's part time, but he wants me to take over the shop eventually and run it as manager. In the mean time, I'm keeping my shop open and getting some promised projects out the door. I'm kind of facing the same situation but with a different perspective.

I literally worked myself into the hospital when I was in my 20's. About two weeks before I collapsed and was rushed to the hospital, my dad told me, "If you don't slow down, your body is going to find a way to MAKE you slow down." I was working over 100 hours per week and clearing about $2,500/week. Looking back, no amount of money was worth the time and health I lost.

Amen, Alan.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake68 View Post

lol.used car lot
Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 PM

Woek is so over-rated but you just got to do it .

John
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 AM

Gary. I was working in my shop when the guy pulled in to find me for the job. I count that as something. That's the second time someone drove out to my home to ask me if I wanted to work for them. This guy seems to have a good head on his shoulders, so I figured I'd see where it lead.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Basically... I am an only child, have two sick parents in their early sixties. And I do not want them to have a mortgage anymore. They don't owe a lot, but IMO it is too much at their age and income level. I am hoping to pay down a big chunk of it by the end of this year.

My second thing, as silly as it seems is to buy and build another 69' Chevelle. Losing my first one haunts me to this day. That is the one car that I cannot get out of my mind. I sold it in 1996, that is how bad this is eating at me. I absolutely want to start with a mostly rust free, mid-western car. The less body work, metal repair - the better it is for me in a cramped two car garage. Every year they seem to go up more in value, getting a little bit further out of my reach. I feel like I am running out of time, and it is do or die right now.

If I can accomplish those two things in a reasonable amount of time, I will then slow down and relax a little. (Obviously I will be making myself save a set amount of money every month too. I will be shooting for 20-25% of my monthly income to save. That will be "rainy day money", that doesn't get spent. I would be a fool to spend everything I make.)