ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 AM
Bowtie Member

I have an electric fuel pump, even had it before the EFI. I have never had a problem with the fuel supply. I do agree that the mechanical one is cheaper and I might go that route first.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun

Yeah I told him I don't want to wire another thing on my chevelle I guess it's time to change my fuel pump. Odd that the pressure doesn't go up when I step on it
Old 09-22-2014, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Cheapest solution...Check the float level first.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Are you SURE that you have spark when it dies?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM

yes i have spark because when i go back to start it its acting like i have no gas. i have to crank it a few time then step on the gas and it starts right up.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM

I'd check for spark, just to be sure. You say it's a 750 DP. Are the screens still in place where the fuel line attaches to the carb inlet ports? If so, check those for obstructions. Next time it dies, pull the air filter assembly and operate the throttle by hand. See if there is any fuel coming from the squirters.

Last edited by FlintTony; 09-23-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:33 PM

the first time i did this to me i did that because it was acting like it was out of gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Shaun View Post
So yesterday I took the chevelle out for a spin. Meet up with a friend because we wanted to go to a local event for toys for tots. He tells me he needs to get gas so he hangs a left out the parking lot (of course he is in a mustang when this all happens so imagine the jokes I got) so I pull out behind him and it goes into a big hill. I floor it to catch up to him and all of a sudden I hear pop pop pop and it shut off on me. Now I had about 2 lines after half tank of gas when I looked at my gauge I was at empty. So I rolled into a parking lot and sat for a second. Said let me turn the key and see what happens. It struggled to start like it had no gas. I have a glass jar with some gas in it filled the bowls with gas started right up then I noticed no fuel pressure. Then out of no where I had pressures. Has something like this ever happen to you guys before? I was wondering if all my gas sloshed back to the front of the tank and nothing was at the pick up. I went right to the gas station and filled it up and had no issues the rest of the night. Thoughts??

O and yes he busted my chops about chevy all night until I found out he blew his motor in his 2012 gt 500 jokes ended right there...lol
here is my other post when it first happened
Old 09-24-2014, 06:17 PM

The pop, pop, pop, is what makes me wonder. Normally, that is a sign of an ignition problem. When something runs out of fuel, usually it just drops RPM's until it's dead. I'm wondering about the no fuel pressure now. Could the sock in the tank be collapsed or full of crud?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintTony View Post
The pop, pop, pop, is what makes me wonder. Normally, that is a sign of an ignition problem. When something runs out of fuel, usually it just drops RPM's until it's dead. I'm wondering about the no fuel pressure now. Could the sock in the tank be collapsed or full of crud?
Good point, could be in the tank.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM

the tank is a replacement tank should not have any crud in it. the tanks is i am going to say about 2 years old since i got it. a lot of things are pointing to my fuel pump. When i am driving the car not getting on it its fine. as soon as the pedal is to the metal at stand still first second is good right at the end of second right when i am going to get into 3rd is when i just get dropped on my face and loose power then it shuts off. I have an MSD HEI setup on my chevelle which is also about 2 years old. Again when i start the car it after sitting say a week or so it struggles to start i have to crank it a few times then it will start up. and i always see the fuel pressure sitting about 3 psi which to me i thought was too weak. I was told by some of the guys here that is fine.
http://chevelleforum.org/showthread.php?t=4280

i know that when i revved it up it was not under load it was just revved up. So i am thinking that when its under load and i rev it up it must be very low and just runs out of fuel. I dont think its spark because of the original post where i filled the bowls with gas and it started right up.

not to make this a long story but my neighbor has a 70 chevelle and his chevelle suffers from the struggle start up as well when he lets it sit for a while. he finally put a fuel pressure gauge on his and he is also seeing 3psi which makes us both wonder if we have bad fuel pumps. I have not started my chevelle since saturday 9/21 if i go home today i am going to have to crank it for about 15 seconds stop look at my gauge which it will be still at 0 crank it again then i will see it move up then it will start. hope this info helps some...lol