ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans

Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Burning oil

I have a GMPP 454HO and yes it burns oil. I know, I've heard all the stories about low tension rings and upside down rings in these engines. Based on a couple of things I noticed I wasn't convinced that's what was causing the oil burning, at least not all of it. I pulled the intake and the gaskets weren't stuck to the intake or head around cylinders 5 & 7 and 6 & 8. The gasket was saturated and dripping oil in that area. I could see where the oil was being sucked into the intake manifold too on the back 4 cylinders.

After I put it back together no smoke, at first. Then it started to smoke some on the passenger side again. I think that gasket may have slipped some when I put the intake on. So what do I do, try again with another stock thickness gasket? Don't remember if it was .030" or .040", or do I go with a thicker gasket this time. This engine has rectangular port heads and there is very little gasket in between the intake ports. Oval ports have a lot more gasket material around the ports.

The engine runs great, lot's of torque and just keeps pulling all the way through the rpm range. I just have to fix the oil burning.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM

I'd set the intake on it without a gasket and see what the gap looks like. If it's not to bad get a thicker gasket and use Indian head sealer. That stuff works really well.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 PM

If you do replace gasket, clean / clean / clean. Then coat both sides of gasket and let it sit 24 hrs after tightening down manifold. Make SURE you use a sealer that's gasoline resistant. I've had good luck with Permatex "High Tack" on the sides, and "Right Stuff" on the front/rear.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradley View Post
If you do replace gasket, clean / clean / clean. Then coat both sides of gasket and let it sit 24 hrs after tightening down manifold. Make SURE you use a sealer that's gasoline resistant. I've had good luck with Permatex "High Tack" on the sides, and "Right Stuff" on the front/rear.
Front/Rear, you mean the rails across the front and rear or the block. Those aren't a problem, never had a problem sealing those with the gray or black hi-temp RTV. I'm going to give it another shot, I'll check the clearance on both sides and see what I've got. I haven't don't a ton of intakes but never had a problem sealing one up before.

My Chevelle
Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM

Yep, front and rear of block. The 'right stuff' I mentioned is a RTV product.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 PM

Set the intake on and make sure the face of the intake and block are lined up too. If there is a wedge shape, that could be your problem. Like the others said, look to see if the clearance without the gasketis is small enough to be filled by a standard gasket.

Pat
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks guys, one more thing on my list of Chevelle stuff. I'll never get it all done by spring. Guess the intake can wait, that's not a big job.

My Chevelle
Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 AM

good luck using the right stuff, youll need a crow bar and a cherry picker to get it off hee hee!!! awesome stuff!!!