ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Electrical

Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 PM

Default can any one help me changing my points destributor over to an electronis destributor

i am changing my points destributor over to an electronic destributor, can any one tell me what color the wire should be also the wire color the key starter to make it crank..... HELP thanks

Last edited by david69; 10-04-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: change title
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Are you going with a different coil also? The electronic distrubutor needs a 12 volt wire run from a source when the key is on, but the original coil wire has a resistor in it for the coil becauce the coil is only 6 volts.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Default distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Are you going with a different coil also? The electronic distrubutor needs a 12 volt wire run from a source when the key is on, but the original coil wire has a resistor in it for the coil becauce the coil is only 6 volts.
do you know what color the wire should be, the wires ends in this car were all hacked off and togos put in it, i just want to get it back the way it should be, also the gauge cluster has a factory tach do you know any thing about hooking that up or what color the wire should be? this car needs alot of help as well as tlc... lol
Old 10-04-2011, 12:00 PM

The original wire to the coil was an beige, may be brown by now, wire. It's called a resistance wire and reduced the voltage to coil so it wouldn't burn up the points so quickly. The insulation is different than the other wires, like a woven fabric. Easiest is go to an auto parts store and buy some new connectors to plug into the connector block on the end of the engine harness. Remove the old wire and use a standard, red, 12g automotive wire to run 12v to the new coil.

The original wire to starter, same harness, was purple. Believe it was also 12g. The end of that wire, about a foot or so if its still there, may be red. The insulation will be a little different than standard. I believe it was to with stand the heat in that area above the starter behind the exhaust manifold.

If there is a yellow wire wrapped in that harness, it went from the R terminal on the starter solenoid back to the + on the ignition coil. It supplied a full 12v to the coil will starting. You won't need it because you will be feeding the coil a full 12v all the time with the new wire.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM

Default helpful

thanks for all you help, you have been mare than helpful, could there be something keeping it from cranking off the key, i can start it if i short it out, i used the purple wire and the yellow wire to start it but still nothing,,, any ideas??
Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Neutral safety switch? 12v comes through ignition switch through neutral safety switch, firewall junction block to starter. Hopefully you have a digital meter, if not Harbor Freight sells them $4-$5 on sale. Not the best quality but will do the job and for $5 you can't go wrong. Guess you could use a test light as well. Either way you're going to have to see where you have 12v and where you don't, check all your fuses first.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle