ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 09-22-2016, 07:27 PM

Default Lost keys, it just keeps getting better!!!

So yeah, lost my damned keys. Ordered a full set of cylinders for my 67 Chevelle. Now I have a new problem. The back part of my ignition switch fell off! I have two springs and a round metal plate that were inside the switch. Has anyone taken one of these apart? Can't find anything online as a guide.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 PM

That shouldn't come apart. It is a 2 part deal. Switch and the tumbler that fits in. Exception being the part that screws on and holds it in. Part of the switch when you buy it.

But the switch should not have come apart like that. Sounds like you need to buy a new one. I had 5 dashes and no keys. I destroyed a few trying to get them apart. So I am familiar with the parts you describe that shouldn't have come apart.

I ended up buying one. It was no harm no foul in my case I was getting a new bezel I just needed the metal backing plate. Turns out I had 67 switches in 2 of them and only one had the "Quote" correct 68 switch in it. They used up old stock I am sure before they switched over. I had fits trying to get that together till I figured out there were 2 different backing plates depending on which switch was used. And the screw on piece matches the switch, not necessarily The dash bezel piece. Oh I was having a blast doing that. But enough reminiscing I got it done.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:12 PM

Oh and if you got the complete key set they only use one key. Not 2 like factory. Mine all used the stop sign ignition key. Doors ignition trunk and glove box same key. So to have a complete set. I got the pear shaped one from I forget which year and had it cut. I e bayed the type and got a few original blanks. So both keys work in all locks. But on the keyring it looks correct.

If you care about that kind of thing.

There is a chart that shows the ridges in the keys. So trunk glove box key works in the ignition of other years. And vise versa.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymaher View Post
That shouldn't come apart. It is a 2 part deal. Switch and the tumbler that fits in. Exception being the part that screws on and holds it in. Part of the switch when you buy it.

But the switch should not have come apart like that. Sounds like you need to buy a new one. I had 5 dashes and no keys. I destroyed a few trying to get them apart. So I am familiar with the parts you describe that shouldn't have come apart.

I ended up buying one. It was no harm no foul in my case I was getting a new bezel I just needed the metal backing plate. Turns out I had 67 switches in 2 of them and only one had the "Quote" correct 68 switch in it. They used up old stock I am sure before they switched over. I had fits trying to get that together till I figured out there were 2 different backing plates depending on which switch was used. And the screw on piece matches the switch, not necessarily The dash bezel piece. Oh I was having a blast doing that. But enough reminiscing I got it done.
I hear you about it not supposed to fall apart. The metal part is ok, the cylinder and the body of the switch are ok. The part that has the wires coming into it that attaches to the back of the switch, that part fell off. I'm guessing the two springs push the round thin gauge piece against the contacts. Not sure how and not sure that a third spring may have escaped! In the end, I may need a new switch... ugh!

and correct, the set I had delivered yesterday has just the two stopsign keys. More original to the car anyway.

Last edited by 67Chvl67; 09-23-2016 at 03:44 PM.