ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Maintenance

Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Default Gas Tank removal and replacement

I'm replacing the gas tank in my Chevelle. I removed most of the fuel from the tank. Is it necessary to remove the rear bumper and lower valance to get the tank out? Or can it be removed w/o doing this? Has anyone done this and if so, can you provide tips to make the job easier?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM

Don' t remove anything, but the fuel tank straps, fuel lines, and sending unit ground wire.

Use a floor jack towards the front of the tank to help lower it. You may want to wrap a towel around the filler neck to protect the painted frame.
ACES #08588
1970 Chevelle SS
1970 Olds 442 Survivor
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Wow, that wasn't so bad. I just removed the tank. It was easier than I thought. I just hope the new one goes in just as easy.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM

It should, I'm putting mine in on Thursday. Just had my straps powder coated so it's ready to go in. What tank did you get for a replacement?

Ray
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Brian, let me know how it worked out, that is on my list as soon as the weather breaks...I drove my till I was running on fumes as not having to drain it. Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
It should, I'm putting mine in on Thursday. Just had my straps powder coated so it's ready to go in. What tank did you get for a replacement?

Ray
Its a Spectra premium tank. Its made in Canada. My tank had been replaced before I owned the car. I looked at the tank I just took out and noticed that its the same one that I just bought.

I'm going to remove all the oil residue from the tank and spray it with an adhesion promoter called "Bulldog", and then spray it with a clear. Hopefully this will prolong that fresh look.

Last edited by Bowtie-Bri; 01-29-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeckman View Post
Brian, let me know how it worked out, that is on my list as soon as the weather breaks...I drove my till I was running on fumes as not having to drain it. Thanks
Hey Ric,
I did what smokem2 suggested. I removed the tank strap bolts in front of the tank with a floor jack under the tank. Remove the straps and with everything disconnected slowly drop the tank down and out.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 PM

Just finished installing mine. Had to bend the filler tube up to get it to fit correctly. It is also a spectra. Shows some rub marks from the box on it. I put rubber pads across the top before I installed it, but wonder if anyone is using a pad between the tank and the lower straps? I haven't finished tighting it up yet.

Ray

Last edited by shadowgray396; 05-14-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Just finished installing mine. Had to bend the filler tube up to get it to fit correctly. It is also a spectra. Shows some rub marks from the box on it. I put rubber pads across the top before I installed it, but wonder if anyone is using a pad between the tank and the lower straps? I haven't finished tighting it up yet.

Ray
The one I removed didn't have the rubber between the metal straps and the tank. I'm planning to use them when I install the new tank. I need to get some pads to go between the tank and the trunk pan. When I dropped the tank there was only 3 of them.
Ray, how did you go about bending the filler tube?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM

I got a installation kit when I purchased the tank and it ended up being a joke. The kit they called a felt pad strip was just 30 pound tar paper strips. I cut some strips out of some thick rubber and ran them across the tank instead. The factory installed tank also had 3 more insulator pads, one in the middle and 1 on each side of the tank. The bolt kit I also got is incorrect for the tank based on the assembly manual. The filler neck was easy to bent upward to fit the gas door opening, I did it with the tank in the car. I'm thinking I will drop the tank again and add the insulator pads, since I have them from my original tank. I may run the tar paper strip between the straps and cut them down so they will not show. If you have a assembly manual check out section 8, its page 255 in mine.

Ray

Last edited by shadowgray396; 01-30-2011 at 09:50 PM.