ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 AM

Default Replacing brakes system

Hello everyone,

I just thought I had finished the restoration of my 70's SS 454 Chevelle but it seems I have a lot of work to do yet.
I drove my car this morning to an empty road cause I had a bad feeling about the brakes. So I tried to stop the car on a long road going at 70 mph and the car had a horrible response.
I'm thinking in replace the power brake booster cause maybe it's part of the problem. My car had the original one "Delco Moraine" but I don't know if its for 9" or 11". How can I be sure of the size?
Any one has replace their power brake booster for a better and powerful one?
Other thing I want to do is replace the brake pads from the drum brakes and calipers from the disc brakes. Any advice of better brands than the original ones?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:07 PM

As for shoes/pads Ric (rbeckman) works for TRW and they now market a lot of after market stuff. Maybe they have something. Wagners are also good. Have you bleed the brake system yet? You should, brake fluid absorbs moisture which causes rust in the system. I would replace the shoes and pads, probably all 4 hoses as well, they deteriorate, bleed the system then see what you have.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 01-04-2014, 06:48 PM

Maybe the master cylinder and not the booster. I agree with Hank about moisture in the brake fluid. I would do an inspection of of all the brakes first, make sure the rear brakes are adjusted correctly and no leaks around the rear wheel cylinders, the front disc are working correctly and you don't have a frozen front piston, new fluid in the system and see where you at.
My stock brakes work great, but everything is new or rebuilt. I'm also running synthetic brake fluid so I don't have a moisture problem.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:33 AM

Thanks for your reply. I bleeded the system and put new fluid on the system, I forgot to comment you...
I will try to check the ideas you suggest me