ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Default Chevelle Weight

I have a 67 Chevelle (300 Sedan) with a 396 in it and i want to put coil over shocks on it and i called Jegs about a set i found and they asked me how much the front of my car weighed, i don't know. My question is, is it really necessary to know that or can i just order a heavy spring weight and be alright.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 AM

You don't really need to know the weight, as the ride height is adjustable anyway...

Choosing a spring rate depends on what you want to do with it, and how low you want it to sit... a lower car needs stiffer springs to keep it off the bumpstops during normal driving.

Drag racers like soft springs for better weight transfer. some run ~200lb
Road-racers like really stiff springs to reduce aero-lift and braking dive. some run ~1000lb

For the street, you want to be somewhere in between. Stock bigblock cars were around 350-380lb, but for improved handling, a lot of spring kits (Hotchkis, Eibach, SPC, etc) are around 500-550lb.

I run 700lb springs in mine, but my car is VERY low and I do a lot of autocrossing...
Old 11-25-2010, 10:39 AM

Default Chevelle weight

Thanks for the info, so i guess what i need is a 550 spring kit single adjustable. Now all i have to do is find the best price and suggestions on what kit is best for the buck and where to buy.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:46 PM

I've seen the economy coil over kits at summit. They seem to be the cheapest I've found them.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/M...s/?keyword=qa1
Old 11-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Thanks I think i have found out all I need to know about the kit now I'm going shopping.
This is my first time using this forum and I think it is really a cool way to get the information I need. I am an old school muscle car guy that didn't have all this technelogy just JC Whitney and PeP Boys.
Thanks Guys and I know there are some gearhead girls out there that will put us to shame so I give them their respect to, like I said I'm OLD school.
Thanks Again
Mikes67