ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle Introductions

Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 PM

Smile Bob (IL) 1971 Chevelle - Hey!

Finally getting around to dropping in to say hello. I've been snooping around for a bit and figured it was time.

Bought one of the last cars on my "BUCKET LIST."
Ever since was a little kid... I always wanted a Chevelle. An older kid in town had a 71 Malibu (candy apple red) in the 80's, I was probably 12 or 13. I always admired that car.
I had the chance to talk to him a few months back... He still has/had the car (had no idea he still owned it)... Well, last week he passed away - Cancer.
I got to tell him about me loving that car... He just smiled (he was pretty advanced by the time I talked to him)....
Another kid I knew in high school had a 72 chevelle. not as cool as the 1st car.. but still a chevelle.
Later GearHead Dad's brother (re: below) had/ still does a 71 Malibu/SS clone.
And one of my buddies has the 71 SS he bought brand new. Has around 30000 miles on it. It's a time capsule for sure, but I absolutely loved that car.
I've been around them for a long time... just didn't think my family would go for them. I was wrong.

Well, as the story goes... I wasn't really looking for a car to buy... at least not right this very moment. But sitting at one of my daughters soft ball games this year... I was talking to a gear head dad. I'd asked him about his TA and if it was still for sale. Told me it was all gone. He also has a chevelle (66) - not for sale. Told him I had huge respect for them, but I like 70-72s.
He told me to call another friend, Mike. He always knows where there are good solid rebuildable cars in the area.
Well, as luck would have it... Mike had a 71. It was/is in boxes, but the car is way solid for ILLINOIS. He wanted/needed to sell it ASAP. Reason is... he bought a 56 belair and need it gone before his wife knew also he needed the room.

A deal was struck. The following day... he delivers it to my house.
Found out after I bought it... it was originally sandlewood beige and had the beige interior with cloth (originally). It came with a 350 2Bbl, TH350, Power Drum Brakes, Power Steering, and A/C.

So now the decision of how and what to do with it began.
It doesn't have front fenders (inner or outer), nor a drive-train.
But on the plus side, the car arrived with a cowl induction hood and tons of extra parts. Mike's original plan was to convert it to a 70 SS clone.
While I love quad head lights... I love 4 round tail lights more, so it's going to stay a 71 (front and back).

Motivation for the car??? 350/350 was 1st plan... Then a 396 w/4spd feel into my lap. GearHead Dad found it on Craigslist locally and immediately called me. The 396 & 4spd came out of a 68 Impala SS. They were within an hour. The price was right. And prior to removal from the car last winter.. it ran.
So yes, I know.. the 396 wasn't actually available in 71, it was a 402. And I also know that the only car that came with c.i. hood was the 454 in 71, but hey it's my car... right? Maybe 1 day... it'll have a 454.... Maybe.

The plan is to kind of make it look like an SS, but w/o SS badging, just stripes and maybe SS rims. It's going to have disc brakes. Converted to BBC and 4spd. Eventually A/C. Leaving the sweep dash, add a tach... and the bench seat.
Interior is going to be black!
The Exterior... well, that's still up in the air - I'm a huge fan of Lime Green and Dark Blue, also like silver.

<<<<<ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE>>>>>

This project is supposed to be a daddy/daughter(s) project.
I have 2 girls - 13 & 8. Both have the love of old cars and both love muscle cars. So a lot of the work will be done with the girls around and helping.
The girls came up with RAT-FUCHSIA as a name for the car.

So the fun begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140624_152839.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	3318  
Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 AM

Great story ,welcome aboard.

John
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM

Welcome to the site. Great story. Looks like another ine will be saved. Build it the way you want. 396 was not available in 70 either. The badging just read 396, but it was a 402. Just a 396 bore 30 over.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Who says cowl induction was only available on the 454? If it was an SS car; 350, 402, 454 - it was an available option in 71' & 72'.

It would be neat as a Heavy Chevy clone with a domed hood and stripes. Can't wait to see you dig into it regardless of what you decide to do with it.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Bowtie Member

Welcome Bob. Love the backround story. Look forward to hearing more about your car journey.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoor View Post
Who says cowl induction was only available on the 454? If it was an SS car; 350, 402, 454 - it was an available option in 71' & 72'.

It would be neat as a Heavy Chevy clone with a domed hood and stripes. Can't wait to see you dig into it regardless of what you decide to do with it.
I seem to recall reading in CHEVELLE SS RESTORATION GUIDE that it stated....
in 71 the cowl induction hood was only available on an SS with a 454.
I believe I recalled it could be had in 70 with BBC.
But a SS350 didn't come from factory, but could be a dealer install.

not really sure, too tired to look it up right now. Just got off work.
Not that any of this is really going to be an issue for me...
Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 PM

I don't take those guides for the gospel. I've personally seen a few small block 72' cars with the ZL2 cowl induction and a build sheet. Back when these cars were new, you were able to order virtually anything you wanted - unlike nowadays.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoor View Post
Back when these cars were new, you were able to order virtually anything you wanted - unlike nowadays.
Exactly. If you were alive during that time that they were new. You saw things on the lots that, shall we say nicely, are not politically correct in the purist doctrine.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Well, guidelines I can live with... Making it my own... that's what it's about.
While I was alive at the time.... I was only 2 or 3... ;-)

The color dilemma rages on... Sort of....
I'm leaning heavy towards Lime Green and instead of Black interior... I'm thinking Sandalwood. I've always had black interiors... maybe it's time for something different.

Plenty of time to change my mind.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:33 PM

Yep it your car do as you wish. I just look and enjoy your work.