ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans

Old 03-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Default Powerglide question

I picked up a powerglide, date code (C1119D) to use in a 67 Chevelle project and I tried putting my driveshaft yoke into it yesterday and could only get it to go in about 2 1/2 inches before it started to get tight and hung up. There had been some rust in this yoke and I had had it soaking in some evaporust for a few days and had taken a small wire brush to the inside spines and I had "thought" I had gotten all the rust out of there. My question is this, how far is the yoke supposed to go into the tail shaft of the transmission? I would have thought further than a couple inches. It starts on fairly easy then gets hard and stops and I do NOT want to force it any further than the 2 1/2 inches.
Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:46 PM

My powerglide it slides all the way to the tailshaft. I can check tomorrow if you like. It is a 68 model from my car. But it was in good shape when it came out.

Sounds like rust on the splines. One of my 4 speeds was wasted like that when I took it apart. Yoke only went on as far as it was when it was in the car and driveshaft installed. Take the tail shaft off and wire wheel with a drill and clean that puppy off. Or it may be rusted up in the yoke its self. In that case soak it with PB blaster and just keep sliding it on and off it will come loose.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:38 PM

So I guess the quick answer is, for instance, this transmission was inside in a covered shop, but the drive shaft was outside. It had a 6 inch yoke on it, so it "should" slide ALL the way into the tranny then without any interference?
I have never taken the tail shaft off of one of these before and would not want to screw it up and be unable to get it back on. I guess I will start with double checking the splines on the yoke again. Thanks for your reply!
Rusty in NC
Old 03-06-2017, 06:59 PM

Tailshaft is easy. Take the speedo gear out and it pops on and off. Nothing in there to mess up.

It does sound like the yoke s the culprit tho.