ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic > Cooking and Spirits

Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Default Have anything good for Easter Dinner?

This forum has been to inactive, so for the heck of it...the menu...

Ham shank with root beer and brown sugar glaze
Shrimp and Grits
Green bean casserole
Field peas with snaps
Hash Browns

My kids love the pineapple and cherries after they're roasted on the ham.

Grits are usually prepared with water, these were made with milk and butter, so they were MUCH richer, then the shrimp..nothing special, just some butter and spices.

Instead of milk+cream of mushroom, I made the green bean casserole with duxelle and sour cream/cream cheese. Duxelle is a fancy word for sweated-down, chopped mushrooms and onions. It was excellent this way, and I garnished with house made fried onions instead of the weird store-bought kind.

Field peas with snaps...kind of like black-eyed peas. Hey...what do you want, it's the south.

Just cubed gold potatoes, cooked in a skillet with butter and seasoned salt. Perfect with the ham in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

We ordered a 32 cut pizza and a case of beer at work saturday about 2:00. The wife had Easter dinner at 5:30. So I guess my answer would be pizza and beer.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Spiral cut honey glazed ham. Baked beans, Bush's baked beans with some bacon, onion and a little Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce added. Hash brown, sour cream and cheese casserole. Cranberry jello, my great aunt always brings that. Real cranberries chopped up with I don't know what else in jello. Tasty and a nice crunch. My uncle brought a cake that looked too good to cut up. Whole strawberries, black berries, blue berries and raspberries on top and in the middle layer, shaved almonds around the outside. Too many beers, or maybe just the right amount.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Stopped at the in-laws for dinner #1. Ham and Lasagna. My father-in-law is Italian, the real kind.

Off to my folks house for dinner #2. Ham and more ham. Smashed taters, too. mmmm.

I just had the rest of the lasagna fro lunch today. mmmmm.

http://s844.photobucket.com/home/72Chevelle/allalbums
Old 04-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Bowtie Member

Well, guess I was "abnormal" in the menu department. I had called my mother and asked her over for dinner and asked her what she wanted, and this is what we had.

DINNER:
Lasagna
Italian Sausage
Green Beans
Homemade Bread
Salad with mozerella balls
Seafood Salad

DESSERT:
Fresh Fruit Salad
Pistachio salad
Oreo Cookie Dessert
Cheesecake

This was lots of fun to do considering that I went to work at 5am and worked till noon. It was a non-stop day, but all went well and we had a delicious dinner.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
Spiral cut honey glazed ham. Baked beans, Bush's baked beans with some bacon, onion and a little Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce added. Hash brown, sour cream and cheese casserole. Cranberry jello, my great aunt always brings that. Real cranberries chopped up with I don't know what else in jello. Tasty and a nice crunch. My uncle brought a cake that looked too good to cut up. Whole strawberries, black berries, blue berries and raspberries on top and in the middle layer, shaved almonds around the outside. Too many beers, or maybe just the right amount.
I've heard of this casserole. My sister lives up there, and she says EVERYONE has it at holiday meals...with tater tots or hashbrowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
Well, guess I was "abnormal" in the menu department. I had called my mother and asked her over for dinner and asked her what she wanted, and this is what we had.

DINNER:
Lasagna
Italian Sausage
Green Beans
Homemade Bread
Salad with mozerella balls
Seafood Salad

DESSERT:
Fresh Fruit Salad
Pistachio salad
Oreo Cookie Dessert
Cheesecake

This was lots of fun to do considering that I went to work at 5am and worked till noon. It was a non-stop day, but all went well and we had a delicious dinner.
Did you by chance make your lasagna with cottage cheese?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Hey Jake,not to make you jealous or anything but I got a bag of cheese puffys and a giant glass of chocolate milk right now.