ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Performance > Chevelle Drag Racing

Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Bowtie Member

Default What is your favorite Dragstrip?

For many of you who live in Michigan you probably knew of Detroit Dragway at Sibley and Dix. I liked the feel of this dragstrip. I met alot of good friends and had alot of fun there. If you were looking for the little rinky dink track, that was Lapeer. Years ago I remember the time slips looked like a doctors scribble, and were sometimes unlegible. When I first went to Lapeer there were only porta johns, they went high tech when they put in actual bathrooms, a few years later.

So what is your favorite dragstrip, or dragstrip story?

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM

National Trails Raceway, Columbus, Ohio. It is actually in Hebron, Ohio. I used to live in Granville, OH, which is also outside of Columbus, actually right near Hebron. My father (RIP) and I were outside monkeying around, cutting firewood or something like that, and we kept hearing this noise off in the distance from the south. Ten or eight seconds long, spaced evenly apart.
My dad realized what it was and we took off to go see. It was just a saturday night run at the drags, novas, camaros, chevelles, fords, etc. We watched and listened, and smelled race fuel, it was sooo cool. It was a perfect summer night, and my father told me a few stories about when he was younger and used to race a '63 impala. I wound up getting my first job at that track a few months later.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 PM

I like the one in Nashville near Chevellabration .

John
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 PM

We have Wisconsin International Raceway just about 3 miles from my house. Its a 1/4 miles dragstrip and 1/2 mile paved oval track. I grew up at that place. Growing up my dad owned 5 service stations, so his wreckers were always used at the oval track. Every single thursday night and all the big special races for years and years I was at that track in the pits with my dad. Dick Trickle and I were very good friends, granted he was much older than me, but he would always take the time to mess around with me. He took me for rides in his Camaro late model race car so many times I couldnt even guess a number. I used to get to hang out with Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Ted Musgrave Dave Marcus, you name it. So many guys that went on to be big name cup drivers all used to race here regularly. Matt Kenseth was the Thursday night champion two years in a row, he and I drank in the pits way too late many a night. I was actually in his hauler the night he met the woman that ended up becoming the mother of his son Ross, oopsy.

As for the drags, dad would always take me there as well. He always told me if you have a track that close, you just have to use it or lose it.

I'm not sure of my favorite dragstrip memory, but I have a good oval track one. After my dad sold off all his service stations, he became a project manager for some huge construction projects like walmart distribution centers, toys r us distribution centers, things liek that. Well he was doing a job over in minneapolis and had an apartment for during the week and would come home on the weekends. So on the weekends my friends and I would go there, use his apartment and go to the mall of america and get drunk and find women. So one particular weekend, we hooked up with a couple chicks and the one told me she drives an ASA car. I tell my dad this when we get home and he is having none of believing this story at all.

The next weekend ASA was at our local track and TNT was here to broadcast it and my dad says lets go. So we are there and this hot chick wearing a drivers suit walks up to me and puts her arm around me and kisses me on the neck and asks what I am doing later. My dad darn near fell over right there on the spot!!!! That might have been one of his prouder moments of his son!!!

Jeff
2006 Cadillac CTS-V LS2 and a 6 speed

Last edited by piette; 01-22-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I like the one in Nashville near Chevellabration .
Music City...One of my favorites too John.
The most fun there is stopping after running 100+ mph and making that hairpin right turn.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 AM

Famoso Drag strip
Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 AM

I've been to and loved lots of 'strips but since they built Zmax Dragway in Charlotte, NC, there's no 'going back'. This place is called the 'Bellagio of Dragstrips' for a reason. The place is UNBELIEVABLE. If you ever get the chance to visit, do it.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 AM

Well I am partial to my hometown track, Firebird Raceway in Emmett Idaho.
It is well maintained, well prepped and has one of the longest shutdown areas in the entire US.

But I have been to Englishtown and have to say the track and grounds are nice.
I was there for this past years Funny Car Reunion and had VIP treatment. I spent time in the NHRA booth right next to the announcer booth.
I also had the opportunity to join the pitcrew for Rocky Pirrone and his Screaming Eagle funny car in the startup area and just behind the starting line.

Had a TF/FC start up fairly close and got sprayed with Nitromethane...now that stuff will clear your nose...lol

Anyway I have been to good and bad but like my own the best!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Administrator Bowtie Member

US 30 was a cool strip. The new one had a sweet launch pad. Route 66 is a pretty nice place to. Indy will always be near the top for me.

Detroit dragway is special since its the place my wife and I first meet.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM

"The House of Hook" Cedar Falls, IA

1/4-mile track about 90 miles from here... generous enough with the VHT that I could pull off 1.84 60' times on 17" street radials.