ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 PM

Question Need alignment specs. For "69"

After 14 years and a new set of tires I've finally decided to have the front end aligned. I have found a shop here in Central Illinois that has a good local reputation and was recommended by two friends of mine. I talked with them today and they said it would be no problem aligning the Chevelle,but I would have to supply the numbers as far as toe-in, caster, and camber are concerned. The reason being that their data base doesn't go back that far. I went home and googled it and got a Hodge-pog of information on 1969 Chevelle alignment, half of which did not jive with the other half. I naturally want good numbers so he can do the best job he can on my vehicle. One site claims that the alignment numbers changed from what they were in 1969 to today mainly because almost all of us are running radial tires as opposed to the bias ply tires in 1969. Does anyone out there have a good set of alignment numbers for a 1969 Chevelle Malibu with 15 inch radial tires ? Thanks.

Ted
Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 AM

I would look for another shop.
If the tech cant align a gm muscle car without his computer giving him the numbers
then he is not your guy.
Your info is correct regarding tires.
The old bias ply tires used neg caster...new radials use pos caster.
I would try these.....1/6 toe in.
half a degree neg camber.
Four degrees positive caster.
Some folks run as much pos caster as can be dialed in but 4 should ok.
Perhaps others will chime in here.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:39 PM

Here is what I use..

Driver side, Caster 1.5 Positive, Camber Negative .5, Toe in 1/16"..

Passengers side, Caster Positive 2, Camber Negative .5, Toe in 1/16"..

You want slightly more positive caster on the passenger side due to road crown for water drainage...

After the alignment, find the max rated tire pressure on the side of the tires and pump up the tires to this number and see if you like it. If too hard let 2 lbs out until you get it were you like it. The higher the pressure the better the handling.. Check the tire pressure first thing in the morning when cold..

Let the car wear into the alignment, it usually takes a few hundred miles for everything to feel right. It will get better and better as you put miles on it..

Hope it all works out for you..

Last edited by pitts64; 09-29-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:36 AM

Would these specs change with say Hotchkis control arms and/or dropped spindles?
Old 09-18-2021, 12:51 PM

They could if the new control arms add positive caster. If thats the case you would want to set the positive caster at drivers side +7 and passenger side +7.5 to +8..
Camber negative -.25 each wheel..
Toe in 1/32 each side to cars center..