ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Electrical

Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM

Default Wiring question

This question concerns relocating the battery into the trunk. I need to know about the large red wire on the engine harness. It leave the bulkhead on firewall, feeds off to the altenator, then to horn relay runs across behind radiator and stops by old battery location on passenger side. The wiring diaph shows it going into a junction block, feeds off with fusible link to positive battery terminal. Should this red wire be fed back to the pos side of battery in trunk? Plus off the junction block it shows a black wire that feeds back to the bulk head connection on the firewall it says engine harness connection... I am so lost on this one. The engine wiring harness is new, so I don't have a clue what the junction block looks like or where it ended up. I would down load pics but some reason I can't figure it out.... Thanks for any help...
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM

If you don't connect the distribution block (on the passenger side, on the core support as you mentioned) to a positive 12v source, your car will have no power.

Not sure if this answers your question.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Yep I kinda figured that had to be hooked up, but I had a concern that it showed a fusible link off the block before it went to the battery, I guess I can just install a fuse. Pluse it showed a fused line straight off the block that went straight back to the bulkhead fitting with no mention of what it was for... but I am still trying to work that one out. Thanks for the help...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Yes there was a fusible link between battery and junction block. From there to horn relay, main splice, through another fusible link to bulkhead connector. All power except to starter motor runs through that wiring. Attached is a basic wiring diagram good for 64 through 70 Chevelle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original_Chevy_system.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2617  

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle