ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans

Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM

Default ITM Floor shift unit

I've got a 3 speed Saginaw hooked up to a 283. The shift lever when pulled back into first or third hits the front edge of the bench seat. The shift unit is made by ITM (Inland Tool and Manufacturing). To correct this I need to bend the stainless shifter away from the seat. This will also allow me to slide the bench seat more towards the steering wheel giving more leg room to any rear seat passenger. My question is, does anybody know how to remove just the stainless shifter ? The end of the ss shifter is rectangular and sits in a well separate from the rest of the mechanism. I looked on-line for a workshop manual with no luck. Thanks again for your help.
1964 Chevelle Malibu convertible (standard).
Old 10-05-2015, 06:06 AM

Default ITM Floor shifter

I ended up cutting a v notch in the ss shift shaft and bending shaft forward away from front edge of bench seat. Having shaft welded into final position. Had to remove entire shifter assembly from car to give to welder. Having converted from a Powerglide to a manual 3 speed I'm getting to know underside of car real well. Next project is replacing windshield. Wife says car keeps me off streets and outta the bars.
Thanks again.