ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk

Old 05-24-2016, 08:34 PM

Default 1972 Malibu Convertible Update

I feel like the end is in sight to get this car back on the road for the first time in about 20 years. I have all the of wiring on the car done and surprisingly it mostly works! For some reason the inside bulb on the rear bumper is lighting up for everything (running, turn signal, hazards, brakes) but the other one stays dead. The license plate light doesn't work but I'm wondering if it's because there's no ground? The diagram from AAW doesn't show a ground and there is only a single wire on the light but it has power and won't light up. The AAW diagram shows the exciter wire for the alternator plugging in but my alternator only has a single post on top. I plan to call tech support tomorrow to get some answers.

The motor fires, has spark but hasn't started yet. I bought a new fuel pump that I might try because i can see fuel getting up to the inline filter but not sure it's getting to the carb. I'm going to have someone with a little more knowledge help me out. It's hard to check these things by yourself because you can't watch and turn the key at the same time.

I ran all the wiring for the trunk in the plastic chase but I'm not sure where the chase is installed. I did run speaker wire, pre-out cables and a power cable for an amp while I was at it. Picked up a set of Kicker 6x9's and boxes for the trunk but I'm not installing any amps or subs right now. The wiring is in place if I want to. I think the 6x9 rears and 6" fronts in the kick panels should sound good with the top down. I'm waiting for my manual to show up because I have a few other installation questions. There are some homemade brackets to mount the bumper that I'd like to fix and I also would like to get the top adjusted.

One of the power top cylinder hoses broke off when i moved it so I ordered a new set. Also ordered 4 sets of shoulder harness seat belts the wife wanted. I only had the 3 lap belts for the backseat so I needed some anyway. Also needed the bolts, man are they pricey!

Plan to install door, trunk and top seals so everything is ready once I get the carpet and interior bolted in. Besides the issue with it actually running I've only got small things to do. Hope to take it down to get the top installed next week if everything works out!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Bowtie Member

Sounds like you have a lot of the challenges that many of us have had. For years I could not get all my lights to work correctly on the back end. Ended up replacing a lot of the wiring was my only option, and knock on wood, it seems to have fixed my problem.

Good luck with getting the motor started. Fingers crossed.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
Sounds like you have a lot of the challenges that many of us have had. For years I could not get all my lights to work correctly on the back end. Ended up replacing a lot of the wiring was my only option, and knock on wood, it seems to have fixed my problem.

Good luck with getting the motor started. Fingers crossed.
All the lights except the reverse lights work now. I replaced the neutral safety switch but that didn't take care of it. Not at the top of my list this weekend.

I did start wrapping harnesses and have most of the engine compartment done. Got answers and fixed the rest of my electrical issues. I haven't had any luck gravity bleeding the brakes but I did get pressure to all the wheels and did an initial bleed. Probably have to do it a couple more times to get all the air out.

Replaced the kick panels and cleaned up the parking brake mechanism and painted it. Since almost ask the lights are working I was confident enough to permanently install the dash . Then I installed the radio and hooked up the front speakers. I wrestled with the switch for the top but finally got it in and tight . Not a great design there. Need a bulb for the heater control dash light and then I can put the dash pad on. I let my son clean it up and get it ready today. Still have to work on some seatbelt bolts before the carpet can go in but I can take it to the upholstery guy with just a front seat if I have to.

I have a friend that's offered to come over and help me get it started. If that doesn't work I'm going to give up and pay someone to get it running. Even though it's hard on the ego I want to keep moving forward. Made a lot of progress, enough that even the wife is starting to get excited. Can't wait for the first test run.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Bowtie Member

Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and have a fresh set of eyes look at the problem. Hopefully your friend will be that set of eyes and you guys get your car running. If not...bite the bullet and send it to a shop and hopefully it will be something simple.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 06-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Had a friend come over and help Wednesday night. Set everything where it is supposed to be as far as timing, put in a new fuel pump and it fired right up. The new carb was leaking gas around the pump rod so I took it off and exchanged it for a different one. Started it back up yesterday and it ran great! Except I noticed an oil leak around the timing chain cover. I ordered a new seal set and will tear apart the the front end of the motor today. I did take care of a bunch of other things. Figured out how to reassemble the power steering pump, finished wrapping the wiring in the engine compartment, installed new hoses for the top, started installing seals and window felts. I have an appointment to have the top installed next week so it needs to be running.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:11 PM

Sounds like you're making great progress. Keep up the good work and you be done before you know it.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 06-05-2016, 08:14 PM

It's ready to get the top on. Got the front end of the motor back together and no leaks. Should have changed the timing cover seal when I had the motor out and did the oil pan gasket. Finished wrapping all the wiring harnesses, installed the rear bumper, put all the light lenses on and wrapped up lots of other odds and ends. Put the seats in so I have somewhere to sit. Put the rear seat in also so my son can ride. Things are coming along nicely.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Finally got it down to the upholsterer last night. The marble sized hail covering my deck Monday night scared me off. Took a few pictures of it before we left. It was an interesting ride since it is waaaaay out of alignment.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:42 PM

Looking good!

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 06-09-2016, 08:02 PM

It looks great ,make sure you get someone that really knows convertible tops ,mine screwed up big time on mine .

John