ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 09-09-2020, 05:24 PM

Default New 454

Picked up a 454, 73 block, 781 heads and Lunati cam. Couldn't pass up the deal. Has aluminum roller rockers. Those have to go, I want my original 70 chrome valve covers and the rollers won't fit under them. It's black now. looks like it was painted with a roller instead of spray can. I'll strip that off and paint it orange. Nice winter time project getting it ready. Probably change the intake manifold. Has an Edlebrock Performer on it. Made to handle either spread bore or square bore carb. Problem is it was powder coated gray, doesn't look all that great, in my opinion. I like the straight cast aluminum intakes.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 09-10-2020, 04:58 AM

Is there something wrong with the engine that is in there now?
Old 09-10-2020, 05:36 PM

Yes, no. It runs just never been that happy with it. Think it could be better. This 454 was Ron's, Ray's brother. He and Ray put it in his 68. Ray drove it and said it's a good strong engine. It started making clattering noises and Ron thought he wiped the cam. Bought a 427 and pulled this one out. Ray tore into and found one of the aluminum roller rockers was loose and making all the noise. He pulled the intake and checked the cam, I looked at it too. Nothing wrong with it. They should have used longer rocker studs with those roller rockers. The polylocks just barely engage the studs.

Besides it will give me something to do over the winter. Clean it up, paint it and get it ready to go in. Maybe I need to add heat in the garage. It has 2 inside walls and is under upstairs bedroom, never freezes in there but not all that warm.

My Chevelle
Old 09-10-2020, 10:27 PM

You can never have to many winter projects. And in MI, yes you’d probably want heat in that garage.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:38 PM

I know I want heat in the garage. As I said it never freezes in there but too cold to be comfortable. I was thinking of just punching a hole in the wall and tapping a heat duct from the inside. Wouldn't take much to bring the temp up to a more comfortable temp and I could close it off when not needed. Okay, now I have another project to tackle.

My Chevelle
Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 PM

That’s the easiest solution if you have access to an existing duct. My funds is in the garage so it’s not to bad out there. Plus here in Cal if if gets to 50 F we all freak out. I can’t imagine what would happen if we ever got snow in the SF Bay Area.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:43 AM

As a winter project it didn't pan out. Rotator cuff surgery put things on hold. Had last therapy session Thursday. Not 100% but I can get back to doing things. They say it take 6 months to fully recover form that surgery. Anyway, sold the engine in the car now. Told the guy up front, $500 non-refundable deposit and I'll start pulling the engine. He showed up, got out of his truck and handed me $500. I said let me start it, we'll go for a ride. Started it and he said ok. What about a ride? Nope, don't need to go for a ride, I'll take it.

So I guess I need to get busy and get it out.

My Chevelle