ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 10-27-2013, 06:34 PM

I have a similar problem but what I did was to drill and tap the back of the intake and ran braided hoses to my thermostat housing it runs a lot cooler. I had a guy at a car show tell me to put "3" drops of Ivory Dish Washing Soap in the radiator my temp dropped about 3 degrees. One thing you need to remember is you have a big block and they are known for running warm especially if you have a large cam and other goodies. To me 190 to 205 is pretty cool. Good luck
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM

Well I finally got hold of a heat gun to try and see if there was anything I could tell with checking different spots on the engine. Every thing pretty much checks out, but the only thing that stands out is the heads temp. While the right head is at about 185 the left head is around 150, I hope this means something to someone, I hate to think that someone put the head gaskets on wrong. You would think they should be running the same temp or close to each other. Tried running it without a thermostat just to see what would happen.. did not help. Plus it still pushes water in the overflow tank way before the thermostat opens up. Driving me crazy, getting close to tear down time...
Old 12-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Well after trying everything, I finally had no choice but to start tearing stuff down and begin searching for the problem. The last thing I wanted to do was to remove the heads. But after removing one head, there was the problem.... The idiots I purchased this crate engine from installed the wrong head gaskets....Seems as my research tells me, all 454 engines after 85 will have the three lower coolant holes open in the gasket, of course mine were not. You know you would think if it has large coolant holes in the head and the block you would notice a problem especially if you do that for a living...... a relief to finally find it, now a really angry call to the engine people, and putting it back together to be able to drive. Thanks for all the help....
Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun

wow that is crazy! i would call and complain about that for sure!! at least you found the problem
Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 AM

Im glad you found the problem.
Now would be a good time to upgrade to head studs.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Well hell just when you think all is well and you have found your overheating problem. Well just before I put my engine back together I decided to call the engine builder to complain, well according to him those head gaskets are correct for that engine and he has built hundreds and those lower three water ports are supposed to be covered. What the hell. Ok someone out there has to have built a 90 model 454 chevy which is a mark iv and the correct head gasket. I am losing my mind. I look at pics of gaskets on the computer for that engine and it shows those lower three holes open. The engine builder says it will cause hot spots in the head and over heat. Well hell its over heating now. He says I have done something wrong on the cooling end of it. Of which I have found nothing wrong. I have built tons of early big block chevy engines, never had a problem on which head gasket to use. Just order the correct one and install it. it should not be this difficult...

Last edited by mprat; 12-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 AM

Think i would talk to some other builders and get their opinions.

I don't mean to be a wise guy but that block is borderline gen v.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:01 PM

Still trying to solve the head gasket question. Quick question on this 454 block does anyone know about the raised rings above each piston hole on the block deck. I have never seen this before, this in itself looks like it would require a special gasket. If you ever decked this block these would have to be removed in the process.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Well found out what the rings were, this block has had the metal 0-rings cut into it. I have never seen a block with this done, feel kinda stupid. if this is the case to me these have the wrong head gaskets on it. From what I read they are supposed to be copper. The head gasket on there was not correct you could see where the rings made indents in the metal gasket ring but did not touch in places to make a complete circle. Has anyone delt with this type of set up before. the tech guys at summit racing were of no help on my set up.... no help on the cooling what so ever... good lord will this ever end. Said they could not find the part numbers on the pro comp heads so they could not give any info. Pro comp said they are not engine builders so could not be of any help.... and on and on and on.....
Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Try calling the mfg of copper head gaskets for an Oringed block.
Send them pics if you have too.