ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Default Front suspension rebuild ?'s

Have every piece of the front suspension to do a rebuild on my 70. Is there anything I should be aware of before I dive in? It all seems pretty much unbolt and put new parts on but I have never done anything with suspension before so I don't know what to watch out for. Going to be replacing the inner and outer tie rods, adjusting sleeves, shocks, center link, up and low ball joints, idler arm, and all the insides on the drums. It's all MOOG products for the suspension and Monroe shocks. Have the tool for the shocks, ball joint press, tie rod and idler arm separators, and I know to have it aligned after I change it all out. Anything else?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 AM

How about control arm bushings? You really should do them now if they haven't been replaced already. Lay everything on the floor under the car where it goes, make sure all the new parts are the same length/size as the old. Heard of some center links being wrong. Also look at where the grease fittings go in. If they're not identical to the old make sure it won't be trapped where you can't get a grease gun on it, heard of that happening too. Install all grease fittings before you install the parts, much easier that way.

Patience, the old parts may not like the idea of being replaced and won't come out easily. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 10-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

I did my 69 about 3 years ago and it was the easiest thing I did. One thing I did run into was had to put a offset upper control arm shaft when I went to get the front end aligned so it cost me more money.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM

I was told there were two different types of control arm bushings so i didn't get them just yet. Going to find out what types i have so i can get them also, i actually wanted to get tubular arms but cant afford them and to convert to discs. That will come later, will take before and after pics for you guys.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Turtle View Post
I was told there were two different types of control arm bushings so i didn't get them just yet. Going to find out what types i have so i can get them also, i actually wanted to get tubular arms but cant afford them and to convert to discs. That will come later, will take before and after pics for you guys.
There are all round bushings, uppers and lowers, or you could have oval bushings on the rear of the lower control arms. It's pretty easy to tell, just crawl under there and look at, feel, the shell around the lower rear bushing. It's either round or oval. The rest of the bushings are round. If you have oval bushings in the lower rear then you'll have to push out the bushing and force a round one into the shell or find a set of oval bushings/shells.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Checked it out and picked up some round MOOG bushings today, hopefully I'll be able to tackle this next weekend.