ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk

Old 07-16-2016, 12:17 AM

Hard to believe the Chevelle has just been sitting in the garage just been to busy working on other projects around the house. I haven't been to a show at all this year. I payed for 2 shows, but the car wasn't running a few weeks back.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:28 AM

I was thinking yesterday. Winter is apparently when the chevelles time is to do things to it. I got work backing up. But that is a good thing.

But Ray just take her around the block a few times. My goal this summer is just push it outside in the sun to let that top cure a little.

The way time flys wifes school be back in soon, Last round and then I can start getting things for it again. Van and truck been needing maintenence. I got to look at the trucks brakes.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-17-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Bowtie Member

I had to pull my car out of the garage yesterday for a large party we had for Audiokarma.org and the SMAC club. I was running around all day and then one of my friends showed up. After I put the food away I walked up to hubby and told him that I was going to take my friend home. I hadn't driven my car in a while so I started her up and just enjoyed taking the drive. She may have been dirty from not being covered in the garage but I still made a pass out on Woodward before going home.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 AM

I got all my work caught up for the moment. I am about to go do something to the chev. Anything LOL. I imagine back to going over the floorboards with a fine tooth comb. I got the shifter hump to put in but looking for dimensions. Seems like it only will fit in one place tho. Clean in the trunk and get it hospital sanitary and ready for speckle paint. Get in the jambs farther back cleaning out the silly buffing compound that is magic in its ability to reach the deepest parts known to man.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 AM

Well I did get alot done yesterday. I was under the car and found a bunch of work to do. I forgot all about the spots where I welded in the bucket seat tracks. Floor was basically done I spent a year on a lift doing the floor with the frame off of it. Fixing factory stampings and rock dents. You know stuff nobody will ever see but me changing the oil.

So I got some bodywork and Painting before undercoating to whip that back into shape. While I was doing this non sense decided the seal wheel well to quarter areas. They are getting additional non stock sealing. It isn't for sale so it don't matter if it is stock. Isn't like it going to ever see rain unless I get caught out in it. But I just want any rust proofing i can get. I will seal it while the interior is out still. Inside and then I am going to painstakingly do between the layers of sheet metal where it is folded over on the wheel side to. Keep water out of that little problem area these old cars have. Getting in between the layers of sheet metal. I already added drain holes there in the bottom front and back. A tip I learned when I was 16 from Jim. No water sitting no rust forming.

So anyway I am playing here resuming building the Pyramids. Ridiculous amount of detail work nobody will ever know about (except you guys) or see. Redesigning the wheel. But it is what i like to do. Try to eliminate the issues I had when I was a kid with these old cars.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 PM

I brought the car home from getting the top installed and took it in to get the front end aligned. The guy at Belle Tire told me the steering box was missing a bolt, it only had 2, but he got it as close as he could. When I looked at the steering box I noticed that the rag joint was literally falling apart. So I got a new one and tried to install that along with the missing bolt.

It turns out the steering box isn't stock. The 4 bolt holes kind of gave it away. Also the shaft that is much bigger than the stock one was apparently. I couldn't get the new rag joint on. Since I had no idea what it's from the guys at the parts store weren't very helpful. So I decided to upgrade the steering box to the Grand Cherokee one I've seen other people do. I also got a new rag joint.

When I tried to remove the old Pitman arm I ran into an issue. I couldn't get it off. I finally resorted to using a pickle fork (there goes my core return on the steering box) and got it off in intact. I had stuff planned with the kids the rest of the weekend so I didn't get it installed.

I did get the driver's side front window aligned and installed the door panel. The inner door frame has been bent at one time so it wasn't easy but it's pretty good for now. I also installed the sill plates and wind lace. Couldn't get my reproduction arm rest base to line up correctly and I was getting mad so I called it a day before I broke something.

Heading up north for a week's vacation on Friday so no more progress until I get back. But I plan to start putting some miles on it next month, even if it's just driving it to work.

Last edited by paulywood; 07-19-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:13 PM

I actually laid under it today for a few hours. I welded in bucket seat tracks deals after the floor was finished? Or so I thought. I am cleaning up that mess where it burned the paint off of it.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Still laying under it doing a artist rendition of what a chevelle floor should of look like. I doubt they looked this good factory. And I am just going to undercoat it when I am done. Am I just crazy it looks fine LOL. Then I can move on to sealing the rear wheel wells better than they ever were.

It is done I think I am make busy just to pass time. I feel better if I am just doing something.

My buddy who owns the gas station is begging me to trailer this POS down to his car show this weekend finished or not. If I had a trailer i would consider it. Looks good enough for a bunch of hillbillies to gawk at. There is a 69 camaro with perfect paint that goes there. I mean perfect. Can't outrun my 6 cylinder van but it looks good. He don't like me much now LOL. He don't wanna play anymore, he took his toys and went home.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 PM

I picked up a 402 and a 69' M20 recently. The engine was running, I took it partially apart to inspect it. All checked out good, and I bought it obviously. It will be a cheap way to get my 69' Malibu running and driving. I am going with the whole day 2/ratty muscle car theme. Should be fun...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160811_201625566.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	3974  
Old 08-22-2016, 06:18 PM

Did some tear down on the 402 last night, wanted to measure a few things. I am going to have to run a cam with a decent amount of overlap to bleed off compression for pump gas. With the closed chamber heads, it comes in at a tick over 10:1 SCR. I think I have it narrowed down to a Lunati "bootlegger" cam. Should have a nasty idle, hope it's fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160821_182947534.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	3979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160821_182957827.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	3980  

Last edited by carpoor; 08-22-2016 at 06:21 PM.