ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevrolet Corner

Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM

Production wise there may not be a lot more 71,72 but they generally are cheaper than a 70. Regardless of which one you like most the 70 does command a higher price.

A lot of people like the 4 headlight system of the 70 and the rear bumper, taillights on the 71/72. So they'll buy a 71/72, which is cheaper, then put a 70 front end on.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM

You can put a '50 Ford front end on Genesis coupe. It's only metal and plastic.

I made a '71 SS clone out of a '72 one time. Only because the engine, trans, and body all fell in my lap at near the same time.

Here's a picture of my '72...

I bought the "running" car for $400. A friend sold me a new 350 for $100, the trans for $50, another friend gave me the wheels, front seats and carpets, and I went to the swap meet for the cowl hood and other SS stuff. In this picture I have about $1,200-$1,300 TOTAL invested in the car.

NOW, ...going back to the article. After realistically spending an additional $6K on the car to make it a '70, there's NO WAY you can tell me you couldn't find a nice '70 for the money.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 AM

Just thought of another car I'd "convert" to a different year... I'd LOVE to have a '65 Chevelle 2-door wagon. I would not hesitate for a second to build or own a '64 with a '65 nose.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Ok Grandsport I almost pissed myself with the pacifica comment. I was thinking along the lines of how many guys I know that wanted a Chevy truck so they bought a GMC and switched emblems and grilles. I'd never cut up a clean anything. On the other hand, if its your car and you bought it and you want to spend money on making it something else I guess go for it. I think the interesting part in the article that can help anyone out is the parts that are different between the cars. They basically wrote an article discussing the major year-to-year differences between 70,71,72. I think it would have been more interesting if they took a Buick Skylark and tried to turn it into a Chevelle. If you want a pure 70, just go buy one. They aren't unobtainable. I know for a fact. You just have to look. I also think you'd be better off buying a 70 that needs quarters, trunk and floor pans and an interior redo than spending money on taking a clean car and buying all aftermarket or used original stuff to make it into something else. Things like the wiring harnesses and brake proportioning valves are different along with radio knobs and green numbers on instruments with different seat covers where do you draw the line? I guess buying a complete 70 front clip and rear bumper with taillights and making it work with everything else is a cheap option to get the look if you wanted to. I'd just say don't read into the article too much as the 72's are basically the same thing as a 70 and they are equals. Everyone has their preference and no one car is "better" than the other. Afterall it is a Chevelle to begin with so its all good in my book. It would be like saying a Lemans handles different than a Cutlass. Its all the same stuff underneath!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandsport View Post
If my dad had never bought a 70 SS brand new,I really would not care so much about what year Chevelle I owned.I looked for over 6 years to find that exact car,and settled for my black car. But,for me I'll never be satisifed until I get the car I learned to drive on. I remember that car like it was last week.
Don't you mean, "like it was yesterday"?
Oh wait, I get it...your getting older, so it takes more time to remember. Just funnin wit cha Gary.
I have that thing called "oldtimers" disease too. It acts up at the most inconvenient times.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Bowtie Member

Berg....very well said.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 PM

If I wanted a 70 that bad I would just go find a 70 to start with ,I like my 72 just fine .

John
Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM

Actually I should have said I like both our 72's just fine.

John