ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk

Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 PM

You'll need a speedometer from a car with a three speed automatic. If they didn't change the linkage, you won't be able to manually pull it into low gear. Is the firewall ac box intact?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:54 PM

so, basically its still a 2 speed transmission if gear selector still says just D and L? what the speedometer is different for 3 speed from a powerglide? i didn't realize that. he says the dipstick for the tranny isn't correct so therefore it leaks. i don't understand that. he says he has the "doghouse" for the a/c, but that is it, it not connected to firewall.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
so, basically its still a 2 speed transmission if gear selector still says just D and L? what the speedometer is different for 3 speed from a powerglide? i didn't realize that. he says the dipstick for the tranny isn't correct so therefore it leaks. i don't understand that. he says he has the "doghouse" for the a/c, but that is it, it not connected to firewall.
a powerglide column has a detent plate for the P-R-N-D-L pattern
the trans indicator on dash/speedo has a spring tensioned string connected to the column shifter assy.
lots of 69's had t350 installed, so lots of the t35o style columns could be used...
2-speed powerglides are smooth cruisers - but boring for fun in most stock applications
Old 11-01-2017, 10:45 AM

oh ok. I know I can get a shift plate for turbo tranny.
yeah, the interior is parchament, not white, but looks white. is this an unusual color? the top is white vynal. all I see at car shows is black interiors and tops. the car really appears rust free, and paint is good, . it gets checked Friday. the car is numbers match engine too. but he appears to stay at 12K, he had it for 14K, but had an offer last week for 11k and turned it down. car has original AM radio, and dash, which is black, is good too. the front seats need recovered, and the "half vynal top" I will get replaced with a full top. car has manual drums too.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:29 PM

I hate vinyl tops, but that's just me. Most cars had black interior back then. Sounds like an overall solid car.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM

Sounds like it needs work, not usually for a car almost 50 years old. Disc brake set up range in price on what you what. If the shifter only shows 2 speeds the car may have had a power glide trans in it originally. Sounds like a lot has been changed on it from the factory. Do you know what the first 3 letters are in the vin? If they are 135 then the car was originally a 6 cylinder car.

Last edited by shadowgray396; 11-02-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoor View Post
I hate vinyl tops, but that's just me. Most cars had black interior back then. Sounds like an overall solid car.
I am the opposite. I got to have a vinyl top. I went through major changes to have it on mine.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymaher View Post
I am the opposite. I got to have a vinyl top. I went through major changes to have it on mine.
Different strokes for different folks... I remove them from everything I get. Usually find rust underneath, which is one of the reasons I despise them.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 PM

the seller claims it is numbers matching. I will get the VIN tomorrow. the car came with power glide, and seller put 350 tranny in it, but I guess didn't change the linkage or face plate on shifter. he says he has the original parts, like distributor, intake and carb and tranny to go with car. the car looks good except for needing a new vynal top. but you never know till a person gets the car. but I am having a mechanic check the car out to give me unbiased opinion on what the car is, needs , and if any rust on frame.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoor View Post
Different strokes for different folks... I remove them from everything I get. Usually find rust underneath, which is one of the reasons I despise them.
I understand that point. But mine never sees the outside of the garage. I grew up dad had a blue 68 with a top on it. I kinda got used to it.

Every chevelle I ever owned had rust, This one had its rust fixed and rough bodywork done 15 years ago it hasn't come back yet. I don't imagine it will it don't see water much.

And I primarily owned chevelles in my youth I had 36 of them total. Buy them beat them and break them.

Back then they didn't have the metal treatment thing down yet. I epoxy primed it and will avoid driving it in bad weather if it ever runs again.

It is like a motorcycle to me now. I will drive it to death but accept it for it's flaws and not use it in the rain. Besides big blocks and posi isn't the best rain combination with a low gear anyway.

It isn't a practical car at all to me. Just something I like and want that cost way to much money for what it is.

I miss the gas crunch days when you could pick up monsters for a few hundred bucks myself. That was their heyday to me.

I am getting older now and like it because they were my first car. It gives me great joy just seeing this thing sitting in the garage. 25 years ago when the prices went ridiculous I thought i would never have another one actually.

My son will probably get more use out of this one than I do.