ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Default The Rags interior.

Since i be doing this a while. I figured I would start a new thread instead of clogging up the what have you done to your chevelle thread.

When the dash pad came I couldn't control myself and put it and the dash emblem in. Instead of cleaning and preparing the old parts.

I have disassembled and cleaned all electrical parts in the steering column. They are done. I cleaned and greased the 2 bearings. I did the interior column parts like I did the body. Removed all paint and now they ready for sealer. Then high build and sanding. It is still raining here so that will have to wait.

And the pieces i will get to sanding tomorrow if the weather is bad still. Or after I paint the stuff that is in the wings waiting.

Now off to work LOL.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:00 AM

Yesterdays adventure after my doctors visit was. Painted the steering wheel and horn button, lower air vent that shows and the under the hood section of the steering column.

Steering wheel turned out amazing. I am floored it didn't sag run or have dry spots. Alot of different angles and tight spots getting paint everywhere. I put it on a extra steering column I modified to do it. It was a usual 68 wheel cracks everywhere. Gaps in the ring. Better out of the 2 I had tho. Under the horn button area I got a permanent resident now. Some kind of tiny bug in the paint. My brother and I call them paint bugs. Little green guys. You never see them Untill you spray paint. They seem to be attracted to the smell. Little Kamikazi's

Horn button masking the little aluminum trim areas was a trip. It was the Elky's blue one. The black one I had was to pitted on the trim line to be repaired. Pic is blurry but I will have a better one once the SS emblem comes and the horn buttons are in on the wheel. It is a satin color and it about half dry just turning in the pics. I checked it last night it was looking alot better.

Vent piece was in the bed and broken when I got the truck. Little fiberglass work you cant tell it was ever damaged inside or out. I like when that happens.

Soon as I get some coffee in me I headed down to assemble and clean the horn contacts. Assemble the lower column parts. Then see if the upper interior parts need any touch up work before primer.

My interior air exchanger box I restored years ago. Took it apart and cleaned repaired and painted the inside so it will never rust. If i get primered the parts I got. I guess I will tackle cleaning the underhood air parts so they don't look like a 50 year old Greek tragedy.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Missions accomplished today. Got horn contacts on horn button.
Cleaned heavily greased and assembled the lower steering column.
Assembled the Vent deflectors and installed on the lower vent. Had to replace the spring parts they were rusted.
I was looking at the column parts to be painted. I joined the lower 2 parts, blended them together. I like it. Got those now only 2 parts primer sealed.
My elusive horn emblem is to be shipped monday. I called them.

No work tomorrow. I have been informed it is a family day. To grandmas and we going to the Pumpkin patch to get the boy his pumpkin.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:09 PM

All looking good ,going to be first class.

John
Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 PM

I still pluggin along. Get up real early and put in just about a whole day before my real work starts. It been cold and rainy so the column parts were on hold.

I been cleaning switches and braces for the back of the dash bezel. Choosing the best part from the set of 4 I have. Windshield wiper and Headlight switch. Those are done. I soak the non-electrical parts in cider vinegar 3 days then they clean up with just a scrub brush. Eats any surface rust and turns it into a clay like substance that washes right off.

I also disassembled and cleaned Then re-assembled the dash air and heat slider controls. Oiled cables basically made sure it all worked and looked like new. Cleaned their switches to without saying.

Well today was the perfect day for paint temp humidity and zero wind. I got the column done. It in the back behind the steering wheel pic. The Horn emblem took a tour of the country going to the wrong places. Before it finally made its way here. I can't hold the camera still to save my life so there 2 wheel pics.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:05 AM

Been stretching my 4 wiring harness out across the world in the basement. Checking testing cleaning before modifications are made then a re-wrap for that artificial stock appearance.
I am using a newer style serpentine drive system and a newer alternator. And wiring up the gauges in the dash. So I studying up Jethro Bodine style. Furthering my 5th grade Edumication.
Wiring diagrams are my friend right now.

And we had the regulator cut off the outside wiring harness for the air conditioner. So we making the needed repairs and modifications at the same time.

Got the temp gauge whooped using the idiot light wiring on the temp.
Oil is a no brainer it is a actual oil line from the engine.
Need to find out what the gauge needs for a shunt.
Tach wire and oil line, I will run out with the Air stuff so it is in the ball park of where it needs to be.

Just easy basic need to get done stuff before re-wrapping the harness for that new prettied up pretend factory look
Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 AM

I finally found a wiring diagram that is close enough that I can buy the vowels and solve the puzzle Alex.
I going to look up and order all the relays and thermal override and resistors, blower motor.
Now i gotta hunt up some plugs on the other harnesses that fit the gauges so i can get them in.
Pluggin along
Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM

Got the evaporator box assembled. Heat box and it are in. Ran the wires and assembled and hooked it all up. Sat on the frame under the hood a long time.
Making progress.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:40 AM

I sat in the car and tested everything it seems fine factory wiring wise.
I stripped open the extra wiring harness. Pulled wires the right color and the right connectors, plug ends for the gauges I got. today I will put the right color wires in the connectors and put them in the car. I got a copper oil line on the way for the oil gauge. Should be here tomorrow. I have to add to more dash lights. The factory gauges take more bulbs.
I am not sure but there is a yellow wire with the right connector extra in the harness. I got to look it up but it sure looks like the power for the clock feed was there if it had a clock or not.
I been cleaning contacts on the underhood wiring. That harness is in surprisingly good shape which is encouraging. I got to run all the grounds on the body under the hood still.
That is a pain I found out doing the air harnesses ground. Because I put so much primer and paint on everything. Cleaning a spot to put one. POR15 just don't come off with out a serious fight. Or the epoxy primer. But I guess that is a good thing it won't be rusting again.
I got everything in triplicate like i said so far it seems. I bought a basket case from a guy who had been stripping these cars to make one for years. His wife said just sell them and I will buy you one that is done if you promise to never work on it. She was tired of the mess. He had a good heart but he lacked what was needed to complete anything. He just got lost.
Anyway to the point. It is taking time searching out the small parts and correct bolts in the vast collection of junk I have.

LOL I talkin about him collecting junk. I been adding to it for 10 years myself. Forget what all i had and just anything 68 related if it passed by me I snatched it up.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:08 PM

I Couldn't stand it any more. I organized the parts on the bench. Scrubbed it down and put down cardboard. Then a towel. Broke out all the new parts and started assembling them. Oil line came. Bulbs should be here monday. It covered in painting plastic now.
I got a few odds and ends to tie up. It getting real close to having a dash in it again.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-20-2017 at 07:15 PM.