ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Default 1966 Chevelle Rear Seat

Does anyone know if their are different ways that the rear seat back is held in place? Does the 300 fasten in different than a 2 door sport coupe? I need a rear seat as it was missing when I bought my project. I can't see where their would be bolts in bottom of the seat back. Only threads with holes or holes at all in the floor pan are where the seat belts were. Their is a small loop welded to the floor that has a small hole in it. Not sure what that is. To me it seems that seat back just sits on the hooks at the top and the bottom must somehow interlink with it. ? Not sure. I see a lot of seats with the back having a tab to the outside of the back at the bottom that is for bolting to the car body. Are these from different division of the A body or 300 or ?
I would like to see pictures of a seat installed with the bottom out. HELP. I need to purchase a seat and want to be sure to get a correct one.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Seat back drops down on the tabs at the top of the panel. You have to push in on the to engage them. I think it is has 2 loops coming down off the spring metal frame at the bottom that are bolted to the back panel. Mine never had those bolts installed at the bottom, but I think that's the setup. The seat bottom is pushed in under the seat back. Has loops coming down that hook on the pieces welded to the floor pan. It's a tight fit, really have to force the seat bottom and the loops to the back to engage them in the hooks on the floor. That will lock it all together. The metal filler panels on the sides of seat back are screwed to the side, not the seat. The plastic side panels have the armrest and ash tray molded in, they fill the gap between the side metal that holds the window mechanism and the seat bottom.

All of the above applies to a 70 but I believe at least the seats mount the same on the earlier version Chevelles, pre-68.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle