ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk

Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 PM

Default questions about 69 chevelles

hello all .new to this site. been looking on line for 69 non SS or SS clones.
a few questions.
some say the car was a original SS, however, they have rally wheels, not the SS wheels? wouldn't the car come with SS mag wheels?

another car has factory air, but owner did a a.c delete, . can the factory system be re instated, or is going like vintage air better or cheaper? the car needs compressor, brackets, air box, etc. but has the dash controls and vents.

I know rust can be a issue. before I would attempt to buy, I would have a mechanic at where the car is to see car. I don't like ebay, cause I don't like bidding on a car I know nothing about. but craigslist is more practical to me.

what are the major things to look for in these cars besides rust? I see a lot of the cars have these under dash gauges for temp., oil, and tach. I don't like the look of these, but I guess the factory gauges don't have these.

I see a lot of junk out there for high prices, and some cars seem more reasonable. I am looking in the 9 to 11K range, and I know they will need some work at this price, but don't want a rust bucket or junk either.]

there is a local chevelle club here I may join too.

also, some states don't have titles to cars over 20 yrs old, and one car I looking at is this way. I don't like that as how does a person ascertain there is no lein or other owners. I know car registration is prob the only thing to go on.

anyway, thanks for the tips!
K
Old 10-14-2017, 06:06 AM

First it is a 50 year old car. Chances of it being as it left the factory are zero. Some people live in a dream world on that point.

On E Bay Hit the drop down menu and it will tell you where the cars are so you can go look at them.

My personal opinion is in your case no rust is the biggest concern. Everything else can be changed at leisure.

Now the biggie. Are you looking to play that game with the idiots or have a nice car to own. They say all kinds of stupid crap a car is worth 100 bucks if the lug nuts are not stamped original kind of stuff. In reality clones and non original cars go for the same money as the SS's if the work is good. They hate that.

They say stupid crap like I paid XXX for mine so this is all they are worth. Well I had one given to me free for putting a trans in once. Does that make all cars worth nothing. It was a factory SS missing the drive train. Just got to get your mind right and think for yourself on this stuff.

My car was a original A/C car that was canabalized for the A/C I put it back on. I got a extra under hood unit for one. The brackets and compressor from anything in the ball park fits. If that is your not checking numbers on the brackets kind of thing.

They sell new in dash gauges for a 69.

The price you want to spend will get you a good starter car. One that is solid and runs. If you don't worry about numbers and petty stuff. It would need alot of work still.

On the no title thing. Check your local state call the courthouse. Here no title may as well mean it was stolen. They don't care about the state it comes from personal problems. If there is no title and a bill of sale. You are not getting a title period.

It took me 7 years to get mine transferred and I had a signed title. Some places are easy and some are rough. My case it wasn't running so they wouldn't transfer it. Until I read the law my self found the loophole and basically tricked them into saying they had to do it.

Says here I got 10 days to register from the date of purchase. Response yes. Do I get fined if I dont. Yes who are you. Well explain to me how to do it if the courthouse refuses. Frankfort made a call to the local court house. They still refused to do it until I said wait I will call Frankfort he is waiting for my call. He will talk to you. Oh now we know how to do it.

You can get a title in the mail from a New England state I can find out which. Say you own it they send one.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:50 AM

lots of wheel options on those cars and they didn't stay the same as born with...
i would look for the best condition car for your range or even $5000 more dollars
because you would end up paying more than that for the repairs to make a fixer upper
car worth $5000 more in value...
rust repair and paint are huge time consuming and costly expenses..
so you may want to consider traveling to a likely car candidate or having an expert look at the car prior to biding on it.
being that the cars are so old it is possible that many repairs were done at different
levels of competence/quality. so definitely beware of hidden issues...
on the good side; most all parts are available to repair any problems that need addressing.
like the gauges, down below the dash; shift works makes gauges that fit in the dash to
replace the idiot lites or inoperative factory gauges...
are you going for an SS or would a nice malibu, 300 model chevelle, or el camino be acceptable??
Old 10-14-2017, 01:30 PM

thanks for the responses. looking at just Malibu or SS clones, and "true" SS cars , even for junk, are just too expensive. I don't mind repainting a car, and a little body work, but mechanically, I can see some cars really jacked up, backyard mechanics, etc.
I am not looking nor want a show car. just a good driver would suffice, . no elcamino. but sport coupe chevelle. and buckets and center counsole hard to find, as a lot put the BM shifters on, or cars are just bench seats.
its a jungle out there!
Old 10-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Keep looking local, ones bound to pop up. I looked at a 69 clone with 454 and auto on column year ago that had solid body (for Ohio) and clean interior, guy was asking 12k. Needed body work but a drive able good start.
I bought mine back 4 years ago from the guy I sold it to. True SS Daytona yellow car not that it matters much because all the drive train, AC, auto on column had been changed out, and paid a little more than your wanting to spend, but I knew the history of it. Solid car and 454 4 speed 4.11 posi, paint still looked good. He just wanted to get out of it. Motor needed work, but couple thousand for some heads and I was good to go.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
thanks for the responses. looking at just Malibu or SS clones, and "true" SS cars , even for junk, are just too expensive. I don't mind repainting a car, and a little body work, but mechanically, I can see some cars really jacked up, backyard mechanics, etc.
I am not looking nor want a show car. just a good driver would suffice, . no elcamino. but sport coupe chevelle. and buckets and center counsole hard to find, as a lot put the BM shifters on, or cars are just bench seats.
its a jungle out there!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrol....c100039.m2059
maybe this one is interesting
looks pretty solid and is not too far from your location??
the interior items can be done alot easier than the body and paint...

Last edited by vinces427bb; 10-14-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:06 PM

yeah, saw that on ebay, but there are 2 problems. first, reserve not met, and guy probably has it at 18 or 20K

second, I not thrilled about trying to buy a car on ebay, cause I don't like bidding on something I have no clue what it is. that makes me nervous.
small items I have bought, but when you talking 12-18K, I need to know what I am buying.
spoke to a chevelle owner last nite, he got a 68 SS earlier this year at Mecum when it was here in Kansas city. he paid 21K, looks nice on outside, but he had to put thousands into for bent frame fixed, ball joints, all new electrical, and stuff.

what I like about craigs, is I can have a local mechanic who is near the car go look at it, and I pay him over phone with a credit card. I did this last year when I bought my T/A in Windsor , Canada. it was well worth the 130 bucks. I saw two other T/A earlier, had them checked, and they weren't up to snuff, so its a small investment . I know they aren't going to catch everything, but in this day and age with fraud, misposting, etc, I for sure am going to make sure the car exists, and goes forward and backward and has seats and a steering wheel, etc before I wire 10 or 20K to a perfect stranger.

it be nice to buy locally, but there is nothing here but high , over priced cars in the 30s or overpriced pieces of junk that guys wat 12K for.

I am no hurry, and really don't need another car. but, if I find one that is legit, then I may go for it.
K
Old 10-26-2017, 09:07 PM

question. there is a 69 I am looking at. I see some cars relisted and relisted. anyway, it has white interior, and dark dash and carpet. I don't see where white was a factory color, but seller said it was. it also has a "landau" vynal top, previous owner put a half vynal top on it, which looks insane. finally, car has drum brakes, is it costly and time consuming to convert to front discs? he is asking 12k for this car, interior seems nice, is a a/c car, 350 Malibu. but the vynal top need to be redone for sure, and has some small mechanical issues like transmission seal leak too. has 350 engine and 350 turbo. thanks
Old 10-27-2017, 11:28 AM

69' didn't offer a pure white interior, they had parchment. (See attached photo)

Disc brake kits are fairly cheap, I believe they start around $499. Not a terrible job if you are mechanically inclined and have the right tools.

$12K doesn't sound terrible. Rust issues? Does the AC work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	790.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	4230  
Old 10-30-2017, 03:56 PM

i am having car checked out Friday. seller is taking it there as car is out of state. the AC parts are gone, so not sure what I will do to get it going. vintage air is so expensive. the car has 15X7 rallys on front, and 15X8 on rear. I want really all four wheels to be same size, like 15X8. he also has a set of cragar wheels that go with car, 15 rear, 14 front. he has added turbo 350 tranny, but shift selector still only has 2 speeds. where does the 3rd gear show up ? car seems to have minimal rust, was from Texas originally, paint was done in 1984. vynal top will have to be replaced with a FULL top, not "landau" top that owner put on. has white interior and white vynal top, numbers match with original carb, manifold and intake comes with car. AM radio too.