ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Performance > Chevelle Drag Racing

Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM

I grew up in Harper Woods, northeast of Detroit. So we went north to Motor City Dragway, instead of Detroit Dragway. My cousin sent me an email not to long ago with pictures of the place now. The track is still there but surrounded by tall brush. Unless you know where to look you would never find it out in the empty fields.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piette View Post
That fight has already started. Back in November already the city called a suprise meeting to discuss the noise issue. Too bad for them word got and from what I hear a good number of racers showed up. The issue with union grove is not limited just to Great Lakes Dragway though, its several noise makers in Union Grove, businesses and such. A study had been performed and as I recall Great Lakes Dragway wasnt all that particularly loud at peak.

I think it had to do with some developers coming in and causing a ruckus about noise.

I see the same thing happening to our track up here, Wisconsin International Raceway. These idiots build right across the street from a track that has been there since 1968 and then complain about noise. So far the city has agreed it is there own problem for building there, but enough people will sway decisions. What a bunch of crap.

Jeff
I have been to many,many dragstrips over the years,as driving a truck cross country for 35 years,I get laid over on the weekends,if I'm close,I usually go to the local dragstrip.The most entertaining one I've ever been to was Union Grove back about 25 years ago.Have never seen so much beer consumed in one place,I fit right in,lol.The owner,I believe was Broadway Bob,he was riding around on the nose of a jet car called the Green Mamba.There was also a combine demolition derby going on,plus one of those giant mechanical flame throwing robots eating junk cars.And crazy drag racing.They don't have venues like that anymore,I hope they save the place.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougA View Post
I have been to many,many dragstrips over the years,as driving a truck cross country for 35 years,I get laid over on the weekends,if I'm close,I usually go to the local dragstrip.The most entertaining one I've ever been to was Union Grove back about 25 years ago.Have never seen so much beer consumed in one place,I fit right in,lol.The owner,I believe was Broadway Bob,he was riding around on the nose of a jet car called the Green Mamba.There was also a combine demolition derby going on,plus one of those giant mechanical flame throwing robots eating junk cars.And crazy drag racing.They don't have venues like that anymore,I hope they save the place.
Broadway Bob no longer owns it, but he is still there almost every time it is open as far as I know. He operates a "toyshack" on the property yet. Its all toy cars and such. That guy was wild!!! The stuff he would do to rile up the crowd was amazing. Also the Green Mamba is still around as well. I see it once year at my local track yet, they bring it in for the last night on the circle track of the year, its called the "eve of destruction". Its just a madhouse of car destruction and mayhem. Every year they stack 4 or 5 cars ready for the crusher on top of each other, and the green mamba backs up to them, lights the jets and burns the entire pile down to nothing but a huge molten mess. Its pretty cool and the kids around here think it is the greatest thing ever!!

Jeff
2006 Cadillac CTS-V LS2 and a 6 speed
Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM

Gateway International Raceway is the only left around here. It's a nice track. But I liked Mid America Raceway until it closed. Not as nice as Gateway, but had a pretty cool history. Even though at the end the full road course was no longer used. In a quiet car you could hear cows mooing from the shut down area.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Here is our local dragstrip up in Saginaw Mi called TRI-CITY Dragway, that is my silver Camaro in the finals against my brothers Camaro..I won, they were pretty close since the same person build both motors...the year was 1975. It's still there, just covered in weeds from what I understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri_city Dragway 1975.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	388  

Last edited by RBeckman; 05-13-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Home track, Mtn Park dragway in Clay city Ky. Really nice people. I really liked Norwalk in OH, raced at Indy several times, never really cared for it.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Bowtie Member

I think that it is cool that you raced at Indy. I lived in Indianapolis one year and was able to see the Indianapolis 500 Parade, just couldn't make it to the race because I had to work. It was kind of strange cause the race was cancelled the first day because of rain, then the second day, then on the third day all the radio stations were advertising about the free seats cause they wanted to fill them for the Television coverage.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Been to pomona many times but liked famoso better.
I went to cackle fest many times there.
brother hood on terminal island was ok for a makeshift track..now closed.
and too young to get to lions.
Jc agajainians Ascot park was the dirt track in my area...now closed.
Now im in florida and no local track.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:19 PM

Ms grumpy, Indy is a nice place. They won't do a whole lot to the track unless your John Force. Nothing against John, he's a great guy. The people that ran the track were very rude. Norwalk seemed to really appreciate every racer, came around and talked to you. We were up to Norwalk several yrs ago when Bill ran it, he came around and talked several times. When he ran IHRA, we were at a IHRA race at Mtn Park and he came up and talked, he actually remembered me.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Bowtie Member

That is cool. I have never been to Norwalk. My brother loves the track. Every year a whole group of guys get together and go the the Halloween Classic. They said it is a blast.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org