ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevrolet Corner

Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun

yeah but my car will never be green...lol EVER!! i hate green with a passion! (blame the ex girlfriend!!..lol) but i am going to keep checking and mine came with black buckets
Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 AM

I thought that most people would like that color. Fathom green with the white side stripes and black interior would look very sharp.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 AM

Just build it your way whether it is an SS or not .

John
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 AM

yeah i know and thats what i am going to do. but the dude that sold me the car goes around selling a lot of chevelles and novas. He already screwed one other person i know and i am almost 100% sure he has screwed me over. meaning i over paid for it. Now what i want to know is how can i get the cowl tag referbed. like is there a company out there that i can contact that i can send them my plate and they re press or re punch the numbers for me. it looks like the engine bay has been painted many times and the tag got sanded a little bit which makes some of the numbers hard to read. Like i said i dont care about matching numbers anymore because i cant afford it. But i would like to have that cowl tag cleaned up and looking better. Know of any such place?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 AM

There's a few minor details most cloners don't get right...

post pics of the steering shaft flange where the column bolts to the ragjoint. BB cars had bolted-on flanges, and 6cyl & smallblock cars had a pressed-on flange.

Look at the fuel line...
single 5/16" line would be 6cyl or 307
single 3/8" line would be 350 smallblock or 375hp 396
3/8" line with smaller return line was used on 325hp and 350hp 396s

If the quarter panels are original, look for evidence of "MALIBU" emblem holes being filled just ahead of the rear side-marker lights.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:29 AM

not sure what you are asking for with the steering shaft but here are some i have in my photobucket.

as for the fuel line. the line was removed due to having a fuel cell in the trunk which is why i had to redo my trunk in the first place all the old gas must of leaked or something and i cleaned it up real nice. he did give me the old tank that had a one line out. so i am not sure how much that can help as well
Old 04-18-2012, 11:45 AM

It's just out of view in all those pictures, but I think the first picture it looks like a bigblock shaft, rotated with the bolt head on bottom so it isn't quite obvious. It looks like the flange is wider on the right side, which would be correct for a splined/bolted flange, whereas a pressed on flange would be the same diameter all the way around.

All clues point to it being a real SS, but without documents to back it up, it's all just evidence rather than proof.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM

when i get home i will take more pictures and see if i can get what you are asking for
Old 04-19-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevelless View Post
Yes all that stuff that you copied and pasted from another site are true but the L code is another way to identify an SS car from baltimore or Kansas. Are you not a believer of this theory? If so why not?

L- May indicate it being SS-optioned car. Not enough documentation has not been found from what I have read that it was used for exclusively on SS cars. Yes it has been found on SS cars so it may mean it was ordered an SS and has been found on 69 L78 cars, etc. If I was going to buy an SS car I would want documentation also before I would hang my hat just on the L. Yes I know documentation can be fake and so can cowl tags these days. It's ashame that it has come down to that. It only hurts the value of everyones car. I'm just like everyone else still trying to learn more about these cars everyday. I'm by no means an expert on Chevelles.

This is from Dale M who has done a lot of research on the subject.

" I think 70 Baltimore used B D and only Kansas used L. Of the limited tags I have:
* 69 Baltimore - BL (El Caminos BFL)
I know one of the Baltimore Malibu BL tags is an SS because of the paint code 72 and a BFL Baltimore El Camino is from matching paperwork.

* 69 KC - L
Ten KC Chevelles with L are verified as SS because of either paint or matching paperwork. Another is verified as an SS but does not have the letter L. (POP w/JC engine code, engine and TH400 have correct CON VIN)

70 Baltimore - BD
At least one B D tagged Baltimore Chevelle I have is verified with build sheet.
70 KC - L
At least four L tagged KC Chevelles I have are verified with build sheets.

Certainly not much to go on given the over 600,000 69/70 Malibu & El Caminos built and trying to fit in 86,000+ 69 SS optioned Chevelles and 62,000+ 70 optioned Chevelles but it's a start.

If others don't take the time to document what they find, it'll remain a theory and not proven or disproven. Just like the mystery of the - -, blank, or DuPont paint codes was theory/suspect until people like Jim Mattison spoke up and confirmed these were 'special paint' codes. Many people still ask about them and, thanks to Mr. Mattison, those questions can be answered. I'm sure many things in Alvin Colvin's books were theory/suspect until he gained access and did research at GM.

The problems I see are (1) not enough people yet have come forward with paperwork proof to support or debunk a theory and (2) many times the paperwork just doesn't exist any longer so those cases sit with an asterisk if you will."

[QUOTE=SS Shaun;34646]not sure what you are asking for with the steering shaft but here are some i have in my photobucket.

Big Block steering shaft will have the lower portion bolted on and not pressed on.

Last edited by shadowgray396; 04-19-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 AM

thank you everyone for all the info. Like Derek said " it's all just evidence rather than proof" if what everyone is saying so far then mine is looking more and more like a big block car. I looked at your post with the steering shaft and mine does look like that. i am almost convinced of it. i need to look in the trunk however and see if i can see any holes filled in. I dont remember seeing any since i had to redo my trunk.