ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Events, shows or back yard gatherings

Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Bowtie Member

Default We made it home, but the car didn't !

So we had a wonderful weekend at the NOCC show. To my surprise, my car won an award for being one of the Top 40 cars, Sweet !

It was too good to be true.......
About 10am Sunday morning we are all packed up and heading out. This time David is in the lead. As we pull out of the Holiday Inn parking lot I notice that the car is having a hard time shifting. By this time we are already on the entrance ramp to I-71. I grab the walkie-talkie and tell David that we have a problem. To late we are on the e-way. We decide that we need to try to limp it to the next exit, but after going a little way we realize that the exit is 2 miles away. I am only able to get the car up to 20 mph. I can't get it to go into any of the low gears, only park, reverse, neutral and drive. Of course David is mad, why didn't I notice anything wrong earlier, he asked me. What's done is done. We have to figure out how to get the car off the e-way.

Now let me back up to the night before and what happened. We had walked outside and happened to see flash and the Mrs. We walked up to them and Joan told me that flash had just written us a note to say good-bye, just in case we didn't see them in the morning. Well she gave me that note, which happened to be on the back of one of flash's business cards that had his cell phone number on it.

Fast forward to sitting on the side of the e-way. Who are we going to call, we have no idea where anything is. And David is asking me...what are you going to do now ? I remembered that I had flash's card and that he knows everyone ! So I call flash and he and Joan were able to get me the president of the NOCC club and other members numbers. So I start at the top and call the president and he told me that he would make some calls. He certainly did...I had Joe, the VP of NOCC, on the e-way with us within 15 minutes.

Joe was wonderful ! He still had his truck, trailer and car back at the hotel with his wife. And he had the keys to all of them. So I took Joe's car back to the hotel and got his wife and daughter who took me home with them and I waited for the car. Joe made arrangements and got us a flatbed truck, and had the car towed back to his house where it would be safe. He offered to put it up on his lift to take a look at it and see if it could be fixed. We opted not to do this because we think that it is something internal. By this time it is 3 o'clock in the afternoon, David, Joe and the kids have been out in the rain since 10am and we are all really tired.

So we got home a little after 7pm tonight. But the car is safe at Joe's house. I wish that I could convey to him how thankful I am that he was there for us today. He definately mad a tough day a lot easier.

And here is the kicker. Joe has even offered to trailer the car back for us, the only thing he asked is that we cover the gas. What an amazing person !!

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 AM

Glad you made it home safely today .Your car is in good hands with the Ohio guys. Its 1:30 AM here in Georgia and we just got home .What a long drive that was but it was un eventful and cruisin back with the Midsouth guys and gals is always fun .Its great to be back home but we had a great time with our Northern Ohio Family as well as the other of our extended chevelle family.

John
Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 AM

Glad your all safe. As they say "People helping people"
Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 AM

Glad you guys made it home OK. The good news is, that despite the problem, you have a whole year to get that all fixed up to be ready for next year's show....LOL

If you need anything else, let us know.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 AM

Bummer. Gotta love those Northern Ohio guy's. A big thumbs up to Joe and family!
"220...221 whatever it takes."
Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Any idea what happen inside the trans?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator Bowtie Member

Still not sure but we think its either the TV valve is stuck or a bolt loosened in the trans and its loosing pressure.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Bowtie Member

flash it is so nice to hear you guys made it home safe and sound. I think it was a couple hours longer than you thought, did you run into some bad weather ?

flash, I want to tell you that when I first called you, I was ready to cry. What was I going to do? I had my car, and a van with grumpy and 3 kids stranded on the side of the expressway. You were driving and handed the phone to Joan, what an amazing lady. Without even knowing it, she was able to assure me that things were going to be OK. I knew, from the first time that I met you both, that you were special people. Thank you, thank you, thank you...for everything you did for me and my family.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Ms Grumpy ,we did nothing that any other Chevelle family member would not have done .Joe is the one to thank as he was the one who saved the day .All we did was get you to him ,but all the Ohio guys and gals are like that ,very special. Keep us posted on the trans situation and good luck with it.
We need to gather and share a list of contact info for times like this when we travel of emergency phone numbers of people that are willing to help. Feel free to give my numbers to anyone whom you think could use them as we do know a few people .And I never know when I might be the one needing help as well. It will work out in the end as your car is in good care.

John
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Bowtie Member

My car is home !!!!

I wasn't sure if it was going to be today or tomorrow. But I got the call at about 3:30pm today that Joe was waiting for his wife Coleen to get home and they would be on the road. The phone rang again at about 7:30, they were about 15 minutes away. My heart was pounding....and I stood out at the street as I watched by baby come home.

Last night after everyone had gone to bed I started thinking about how "easily" I left my car at Joes house. I don't let David drive my car, but I left it at a total strangers house....how could I do that ? I think that it was just the sense that I got from Joe that it would be safe, heck look at how he made sure that the tow truck driver didn't do any damage to the car.

Anyway, she is home, safe. And Joe and Colleen could not have picked a nicer day to drive it up here. We made sure that they did a small detour onto Woodward to see some of the cars that should be out there tonight. The weather is beautiful and I am hoping that they get to see a small slice of what Woodward will be like this weekend.

Again..thank you to all the people involved with getting my car home safe and sound. And to everyone's words of encouragement, Thank you.. I think I will sleep pretty good tonight, well maybe not, still have to fix the trans problem.