ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Restoration by the numbers

Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supspt454 View Post
Yes, there was an electric solenoid that was operated by the throttle pedal switch which acutated the vacume solenoid on the cowl flapper. That is how the cowl flapper door knew when to open. At WOT.
There are 2 doors on the cowl, the one on top that you see open is vacuum operated. There is also an inner door that is controlled by an electric solenoid and the gas pedal switch.

They are basically independent of each other. The inner door stays closed when the engine is off. When engine is running the inner door opens when the gas pedal is pressed down.

The outer door stays open when engine is off since it's vacuum controlled. With engine running vacuum pulls it closed, mash the pedal, vacuum drops and door opens.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Supspt454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
There are 2 doors on the cowl, the one on top that you see open is vacuum operated. There is also an inner door that is controlled by an electric solenoid and the gas pedal switch.

They are basically independent of each other. The inner door stays closed when the engine is off. When engine is running the inner door opens when the gas pedal is pressed down.

The outer door stays open when engine is off since it's vacuum controlled. With engine running vacuum pulls it closed, mash the pedal, vacuum drops and door opens.
I forgot about the inner door. Somewhere I have a copy of a cowl build sheet. It is not anything I found in my car. But it does say something like "SS cowl hood". I don't remember exactly. The guy that sent it to me said a functional cowl hood was not offered on a non SS car. I would rather use the untouched throttle pedal switch that is still intact as an indicator instead of the title even. Titles can be changed at tag offices.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Shawn, unless you're wanting to do a high dollar restoration, I'm with Hank, just enjoy the car.

I have had luck in the past tracking cars back to the original owner in the hope that they might have an original invoice or other documentation to prove the cars provenance. A lot of my success (or lack of success!) is dependent on which state(s) the car has spent its life in. If the car spent all of it's life in Oklahoma, it's a slam-dunk, go to the Oklahoma Tax Commission website, download and fill out form 769, send in your check for $7.50 and you will get copies of all titles since the car was first titled in Oklahoma....then the work starts in tracking down the owners....it's not real likely that the original purchaser still lives at the same place he/she did over 40 years ago.

If you want to go that route and need any help, PM me. If I see a Forest Green SS with white stripes going down the highway I will flag you down!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Supspt454

Your right. I should drop it. It just kills me not knowing!!! Haha, I'm kind of crazy like that. The last place it was titled was Jennings, Ok. I had no luck there. In my mind I can see a rusty old LS6 and M22 sitting in Grandpa Joes barn that came out of the car and is about to be thrown out. And then here I come after all these years... Good point. I need to just enjoy the car! Told you I was crazy like that. Haha!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Man thats the same color combo of my car. Mine isn't a real SS though but I don't mind. It is actually OK with me because I know I can play around with it without being worried of killing an original matching #'s car. My car was red when I got it but originally code 45 green with code 48 dark green interior and a black vinyl top. I kept my bench seat and added a muncie 4 speed on the floor. I'm working on saving up for the SS dash swap.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
Mine isn't a real SS though but I don't mind. It is actually OK with me because I know I can play around with it without being worried of killing an original matching #'s car. My car was red when I got it but originally code 45 green with code 48 dark green interior and a black vinyl top. I kept my bench seat and added a muncie 4 speed on the floor. I'm working on saving up for the SS dash swap.
Don't get me wrong, I love number matching cars, but most of us didn't purchase a car like that. We bought a car that we liked and had a vision in our mind about what we wanted to do to it.

I have talked to people who have turned their noses up at me because I don't have a numbers matching car. Does it really matter to me, no. I have what I want.
I love to go to a car show and see all the cars and what people have done to them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I have seen many beautiful cars. Even cars that are works in progress can be beautiful, if you open your mind to it's potential.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org